Electronic decision unit

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
Those are the things that wave the big flags signalling it as an assignment of some kind. The whole charity organization thing is just fluff to give the illusion of it being a "real world" problem. The "no MCU" restriction is almost certainly because using an MCU would render the assignment useless for developing and/or evaluating the knowledge and skills being targeted.
Yes it is an assignment i simply copied the design brief, i have tried to create a circuit but i have been running to troubles hence i decide to use the forum

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
I agree, too bad about the 'no MCU' a small 8pin footprint micro would do it a cinch.
Strange a charity org that requires it stipulates a design criteria?
I guess the charity is part of fiction in the H.W. question!
Max.
Yes it is an assignment i simply copied the design brief, i have tried to create a circuit but i have been running to troubles hence i decide to use the forum

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
This is pretty clearly an assignment of some kind -- and a pretty common one.

Make your best attempt to get started and show that. We can then offer feedback and small suggestions on what to do differently or what to do next.

You might start with a detailed sequence of events that goes through one cycle of operation. That will help you identify actions that are necessary but only implied in your present description.
I have no prior knowledge to electronics could you help?

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
Why use an MCU of any type? These devices have been built even using the old style electromechanical relays. The logic is fairly simple. Gates and flipflops are all that is needed. If the sound does not need to be really loud, and the light does not need to be terribly bright, then the system could run on a single 9 volt battery, otherwise a set of 4 "D: cells could be the power source.
This does sounds a lot like a school exam in a digital logic course. But it might just be a homework assignment.

It can be done as simply as 3 J-K flipflops (CD4027) and a 3 input OR gate. The input circuit can simply be a 4049 hex inverter with some small capacitors and 220 ohm pull down resistors. When any FF is triggered it's Q_ feeds the or gate removing the "J" input, so that the next FFs can not toggle. I did omit the reset circuit and the announcers but they are simple.
I have no prior knowledge to electronics, so could you explain?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You need to show YOUR best attempt to make SOME effort at solving the problem. We are not mind readers. We can't see any of the things that you have tried to do to create a circuit or what troubles you have been running into. So how can we possibly help you make progress?

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
You need to show YOUR best attempt to make SOME effort at solving the problem. We are not mind readers. We can't see any of the things that you have tried to do to create a circuit or what troubles you have been running into. So how can we possibly help you make progress?
I have searched online for circuits but none have fit the requirements, I have just started electronics and do not understand a single thing about as I have a bad teacher, I have to him for help, but he said if i continued to ask he would mark down my project.

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
I have an idea for a circuit, button connected to a AND gate connected to GND set lines,connected to power darlington, connected to a lamp and a buzzer with a master reset

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have searched online for circuits but none have fit the requirements, I have just started electronics and do not understand a single thing about as I have a bad teacher, I have to him for help, but he said if i continued to ask he would mark down my project.
Searching online for circuits and rejecting them if they don't do exactly what you need does not constitute much of an effort toward solving the problem.

This problem is a completely reasonable problem to ask on an exam and expect you to be able to work it without any resources at all.

So approach it from that perspective. What would you do if this were an exam question? If you can't solve it completely, do as much as you can trying to get as much partial credit as you can.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have an idea for a circuit, button connected to a AND gate connected to GND set lines,connected to power darlington, connected to a lamp and a buzzer with a master reset
That tells me almost nothing.

Draw a circuit showing how you would connect these things.

Also, go back to what I said quite some time ago. What is the sequence of events that needs to happen from the start of one quiz question to the start of another?

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
That tells me almost nothing.

Draw a circuit showing how you would connect these things.

Also, go back to what I said quite some time ago. What is the sequence of events that needs to happen from the start of one quiz question to the start of another?
Game1.gif

I need for the circuit to lock out the others, when one button is pressed, and when it is pressed light and sound should indicate it has been pressed

electronics123

Joined Feb 22, 2020
And this is YOUR idea for a circuit?

Can you explain how this circuit works? What the role of each of the components is? After all, it's YOUR idea.
The first contestant to press his button locks out the other two contestants, double pole pushbuttons with the second poles connected to activate the buzzer, and the buzzer will sound till the reset button is pressed