Electromagnet control of cycle and strength

Frankster

Joined Dec 31, 2019
I have a 12v 55 kg electromagnet. Two wires. I want to run it off a 110 V converter with an on off switch. Further, I want to rheostat the strength with a simple dial or a up/ down button. Lastly, I want to be able to run it on a variable timer I set, i.e. cycles once every five to fifteen seconds and for it to stay on five to fifteen seconds as I need again with a knob or up/down button. List the part numbers, inexpensive but reliable 2019-12-31 14.38.02.jpg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
How much current does the electromagnet need ? (Or what is it's resistance so we can calculate the required current ?)
Probably using a microcontroller would be the cheapest solution as it could generate the PWM signal to adjust the magnet's strength and also perform the timing. You could connect three potentiometers (One for the strength, one for frequency and one for the duration.) to three ADC inputs. It could be done by other methods but would require many more components.

Les.

Frankster

Joined Dec 31, 2019
How much current does the electromagnet need ? (Or what is it's resistance so we can calculate the required current ?)
Probably using a microcontroller would be the cheapest solution as it could generate the PWM signal to adjust the magnet's strength and also perform the timing. You could connect three potentiometers (One for the strength, one for frequency and one for the duration.) to three ADC inputs. It could be done by other methods but
Probably using a microcontroller would be the cheapest solution as it could generate the PWM signal to adjust the magnet's strength and also perform the timing. You could connect three potentiometers (One for the strength, one for frequency and one for the duration.) to three ADC inputs. It could be done by other methods but would require many more components.

Les.
.57amps advertised to hold 55 pounds.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is a lift magnet or magnetic table, usually you require a reverse DC de-magnetize action, to counteract the residual.
Max.

Frankster

Joined Dec 31, 2019
The metal will not come within five inches of the magnet. Would I need demagging? No direct contact. I see potentiometers on ebay. I don't know what to buy.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You will not get a pull of 55Kg or 55lb (Which is it as you use these different values in different posts.) at a distance of 5 inches. The specification of 55 ?? will probably be with the metal in contact with the electromagnet. With the frequency and duration controls how do yo want it to behave if the frequency is set to once every 5 seconds and you set the duration to 5 seconds or greater. would it be better to have one control for the on time and the other for the off time. You could also have one for frequency and one for the ratio of on time to off time. Telling us what you are trying to achieve would probably help with suggested solutions. Also giving us some idea of your knowledge of electronics and if you choose the microcontroller solution which microcontrollers you are familiar with and what programming languages you prefer.

Les.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It could also be done with three 555 timers, one for the period, which controls the second for the on-time, which controls the third for the PWM, which drives a MOSFET to control the magnet current.
If you like that approach I can gin up a schematic.

Last edited: