Electro tech help

bthistle

Joined Feb 12, 2008
This has to do with efficiency
A pumping station raises 1600 kilograms of water a distance of 5 meters. if it has an efficiency of 75%, how much energy would be required?

this is on my assignment i am puzzled haha

thanks
bill

bthistle

Joined Feb 12, 2008
is it missing some givens? if i had the initial energy i could get somewhere, but it seems like this question is lacking some givens.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I'm no physics expert, so I may be incorrect. I believe work requires knowledge of the force involved, which is unknown in this case. You are only given that the potential energy of the water is raised.

PE = mgh

PE = Energy (in Joules)
m = mass (in kilograms)
g = gravitational acceleration of the earth (~9.8 m/sec2)
h = height above earth's surface (in meters)

Then compensate for efficiency.

Steve

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
No, I don't think so. You asked for the energy required, not the power. Watts is a unit of power.

You would consider power if you wanted to lift that load's potential energy in a certain amount of time, then you can figure out what sort of mechanical power you would need to do this.

Steve

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Power is the rate at which energy is converted from one form to another. In this case, conversion is from electrical energy to 75% mechanical energy + 25% waste heat.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Here, there is no rate of energy, there is just potential energy. For example, as an object is raised against gravity, its potential energy increases. It doesn't matter at what rate this is happening, since that is a matter of power.

This is my understanding anyways.

Steve