Electricity generation circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
If I have 2 coils on either side of the galvanometer. And, I will be running a magnetic field around the coils. If one end of each coil is going to the meter, does the other end of the coils need to be connected to each other?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If I have 2 coils on either side of the galvanometer. And, I will be running a magnetic field around the coils. If one end of each coil is going to the meter, does the other end of the coils need to be connected to each other?
You might get answers if you can supply a picture of your proposed circuit. But as a guess to what your doing, you do need to complete a circuit. And just putting a static, non-moving magnetic field near a coil of wire won't produce any electricity.

I haven't seen the word "galvanometer" used for many years.

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
This is quite a rudimentary drawing of the circuit. The question mark is what I'm asking about connecting. I understand that I need to have the magnetic field moving around the coils. But, that's not what I need to know. Screenshot_20220205-194438.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
For direct current electricity to flow you must have a circuit. So, if there is a voltage induced in the wire by a magnet it will not flow through the meter unless the wires are connecred.

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Thanks. That's why I had to ask. I was always told that it needs to be a complete circuit.

I'm trying not to give away my ideas. But, imagine that I have a huge magnet that I will be spinning. Imagine the North side of the magnet near the first coil, and the south side of the magnet spinning near the second coil. Do they need to be connected to each other?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks. That's why I had to ask. I was always told that it needs to be a complete circuit.
You were told correctly. Things become a bit different with alternating current particularly as the frequency increase, but for what you are doing, a circuit is a mandatory prerequisite.

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Okay, if I connect the other ends of the coils, should I hook up a resistor? If so, what size do you think I should use, 100 ohms or like 10K ohms?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Since i have no idea what you are hoping to do, I can't really answer that.

The answer depends on on how much voltage you might be able to generate, if any, Fro the vague understanding I have of what you intend, you ar doing the equivalent of putting two batteries in a circuit with opposite polarities in which case no current will flow.

If you manage to get current flowing, a current limiting resistor might be needed but I think you are better off using an incandescent lightbulb rated for a voltage near what you might generate.

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Thanks for all your responses. I have no idea how much I might be generating. So, I will probably just use a huge resistor and an LED. to see if it is moving through both ends. We are done here, thank you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Your statement about patents, from your previous thread, is a dead giveaway. If you bothered to read Lancaster, you might realize that by acting like an inventor, you are going about it all wrong.

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Your statement about patents, from your previous thread, is a dead giveaway. If you bothered to read Lancaster, you might realize that by acting like an inventor, you are going about it all wrong.
"Dead giveaway" for what? If I don't act like an inventor, then you might try to steal my ideas, which might revolutionize the world.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As long as you are not trying to get more energy out than you are putting in, you will be OK. this is called over unity. which is not possible (perpetual motion) and is not allowed on this site because it is scientifically impossible.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
"Dead giveaway" for what? If I don't act like an inventor, then you might try to steal my ideas, which might revolutionize the world.
The principals behind generating electricity have been known for centuries and there are literally teams of engineers devoted to making the slightest improvements in efficiency because there is only so much that can be done with conventional components. There is some merit to not sharing ideas but the chance that you have something groundbreaking despite lacking rudimentary understanding of principal implies you will at best only succeed at reinventing the (most basic) wheel. In my early days of learning electronics I had all kinds of ideas that I've never seen commercially only to realize later they are inefficient and/or economically impractical.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The thread starter has apparently left. This is a good time to lock the thread.
Mr. Rice is welcome to start a new thread if he so desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.