Electrical Engineering vs Information Technology

mnobeidat

Joined Dec 20, 2016
Hi
I am a fresh graduate electrical engineer and interested in programming, machine learning, data analysis, Android, networking, control systems, electrical systems design and image processing. And every time I read about something related to these subjects I try to go deeper. The problem is I know a bit about every subject among these but I am not fluent in any. And right now I am confused and don't know what is the best field to choose to be professional in and what is the right one to get a job.
I am really confused I need help to decide.
* I attached my resume if it helps.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I think you should have majored in Computer Engineering which would have placed less emphasis on EE and exposed you to more topics in the areas you've expressed interest in and you could have taken electives to increase your knowledge.

If you didn't have an idea of what field you wanted to work in before you graduated, you're behind your peers who, hopefully, had interviews or jobs lined up before graduating.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
It is possible that you find yourself in an electrical/electronic job that involves some programming activities, given that even the simplest of products now include some software control.

Many programmers have no knowledge of how the electronics they are programming work – having that knowledge can be very advantageous, allowing you to write programs and design the circuit being controlled.

With regards your CV, I would recommend you expand on what your precise involvement was in the ThermoLab project (maximum two sentences, could use bullet points), I would delete your ‘Personal skills’ section which is subjective, and try to fit the whole thing on one A4 page.

According to your interests, you should definitely go for Computer/Software stuff. Even in software specifically, there's still a wide field. Try to pursue some job in your chosen area for fresh graduates, as they don't require many years of experience, and some of them don't even require it.

If you didn't have an idea of what field you wanted to work in before you graduated, you're behind your peers who, hopefully, had interviews or jobs lined up before graduating.
I can relate. I'm graduating next year from Electronics Engineering and already have two years of work experience in the area.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm graduating next year from Electronics Engineering and already have two years of work experience in the area.
When I got my associates degree in electronics over 40 years ago, I had one interview scheduled when I graduated and no applicable work experience.

After I had interviewed with the company, I dropped by HP to give a receptionist my resume; they interviewed me on the spot and gave me an offer the next day. Two interviews, two job offers. Times were different back then; even though just starting to recover from a recession.

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
To be depressingly honest, as long as you have a technical degree, most employers don't care about the details.

It's very rare you'll work for anyone who knows as much as you do anyway. They just want a graduate to work for low pay, someone who doesn't have the experience or confidence to say "no", when asked to do something stupid or unethical.

As an experienced engineer of 20 years, i've noticed that lately the only jobs I can get are those where experience matters (fault finding and repairs), or short term contracts with big companies who need someone to train their graduates in the more practical side of things.

jaredwolff

Joined Jul 1, 2017
My best suggestion is to find something you're interested in and start working on it. Especially early on when you don't have any experience, that's the only way employers will be able to gauge that you're interested in your work and can perform at certain engineering tasks. Its the cheapest way to learn and big companies like Apple look at that experience (I know because that's how I ended up working there). They also look for fundamentals as well so you need to be fluent in regards to what ever field you end up going for.

If you're interested in embedded systems, grab a development board and make something. I bet you probably have an idea for something you want to make but you haven't quite started yet..

Now, job wise, you may have to suck it up and do something you don't want to do while you tinker on the side and get experience. You're freshly out of school so you may be able to get an internship despite already graduating. Check what opportunities are around locally. You may have to even reach out to companies you're interested in to see if they have any opportunities. Definitely don't ask for a job though, that's a big no no (and surefire way not to get a job).

Good luck