Electrical device connected to the main panel service provider and also a DC battery

ajoaodetodos

Joined Jun 8, 2020
Let be a 110V appliance, and a 12V battery. I would like to connect the battery to the appliance, keeping it plugged into the 110V outlet, to reduce the load on the mains. It's possible? I would not like to connect only the battery as it would last a short period.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Let be a 110V appliance, and a 12V battery. I would like to connect the battery to the appliance, keeping it plugged into the 110V outlet, to reduce the load on the mains. It's possible? I would not like to connect only the battery as it would last a short period.
Post an intelligible question.
  1. What is the purpose of the battery?
  2. Why are you concerned about the load?
  3. Are you planning to charge the battery?

ajoaodetodos

Joined Jun 8, 2020
The battery is charged by a small solar panel. The objective is to save energy, but only the battery is not enough to plug devices with higher power, therefore I'd like to plug the device with the outlet and also with the battery.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The battery is charged by a small solar panel. The objective is to save energy, but only the battery is not enough to plug devices with higher power, therefore I'd like to plug the device with the outlet and also with the battery.
We need to know how the battery is connected to the solar panel and how the battery will be connected to the "appliance".

What does the battery do for the appliance? Is the appliance able to operate from 12VDC or line voltage?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sad to say it's very unlikely you will be able to save total energy costs. I don't want you to be disappointed as that doesn't mean you shouldn't build something as a learning exercise.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The appliance is a regular household appliance.
So how is the inverter connected to the household appliance?

All you've said is that you have a battery, a solar panel, and an appliance that's connected to line voltage. Now you've told us that the battery is in an inverter.

How is the solar panel connected to the battery? What is the relationship between the inverter and the appliance?

ajoaodetodos

Joined Jun 8, 2020
The sequence is:
10W Solar Panel -> Voltage Regulator -> Battery (12V) -> Inverter (12 to 110V) -> household Appliance (110V)
Now I want to connect this to the line voltage.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And how do you propose to switch between line vs battery (inverter) power? Not necessarily physically switch at this time, but how are you going to know when to run on each power source?