Electric typewriter question

dixieflash

Joined Aug 3, 2019
About an electric typewriter - the "Dd" key is inoperative - all others work. Smith-Corona Coronet Super 12.
I know you folks are very savvy. Appreciate any help. Cheers

dixieflash

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Okay, found the problem - the D letter leg has come loose at the terminus. I see how to refit it but there is not enough space to get the pin into the hole. Is there a trick to make this work? Thx for help. The videos don't address this.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Okay, found the problem - the D letter leg has come loose at the terminus. I see how to refit it but there is not enough space to get the pin into the hole. Is there a trick to make this work? Thx for help. The videos don't address this.
Yes, a picture would help. If I just imagine the situation, I insert the pin before what it retains, maybe from the other side. Then slide it out just enough to clear what it retains. Tiny forceps help.

dixieflash

Joined Aug 3, 2019
I don't see the problem. Be ingenuous
I'm 88 and don't see well, so excuse me. I think you can see the loose connector here - the tiny pin has to go thru the hole in the shiny rounded thing - stick point. I'm struggling. Need two more hands. IMG_3241.jpgIMG_3240.jpg
Mod edit: fix quote - JohnInTX

Last edited by a moderator:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I think you can see the loose connector here - the tiny pin has to go thru the hole in the shiny rounded thing - stick point. I'm struggling. Need two more hands.
Those pictures are more helpful. If you just need more hands to do it, make up some jigs to help you.

Find something to attach a wire to that you can use to hold the part illustrated in the first picture up so you can position the pin by the hole.

dixieflash

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Thanks, Dennis. I will try that and locking forceps also. I have nephropathy in my fingers and my hands shake. May have to wait on a G.son.