Electric skillet 101

jgreene44

Joined Dec 8, 2016
As you can see. I hooked this up and got unexpected results. Picks up on AC. Weird to me was the voltage is not following the dial and only a Max of around 8VDC. Anyone understand 1492025752383.jpg these work? Thanks in advance!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The center probe should be about 2 1/4" and the actual power connectors should be female sockets with 1 3/8" spacing. The early ones were pretty standard and the sockets mate directly with the heating element of the skillet. The ones I remember used a capillary tube sensor (the center probe) and were On/Off devices where the dial set the temperature. Leaving the unit unplugged measure from the line cord plug to either female socket (resistance measurements). Set the temperature up to around 300 F and heat the probe. Do you hear a "click" as the probe passes through set points?

Anyway, that would be my guess the output would be AC mains voltage and skillets like that was made for swing +/- 25 Deg. F. of set point with On / Off control. That is how I remember them anyway.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The last time I opened up one of these I found a bi-metallic strip that would open when the temperature was reached, and an excentric cam on the dial that set the temperature.

Zero electronics.
Uh Oh, I may be changing my vote here. I said capillary tube and now Ernie has me second guessing. The bummer is up till a year ago we had one in the pantry which we actually gave to a friend who wanted it as an antique. I remember the cam as Ernie describes but can't remember if it was bi-metallic or a capillary action. :(

Ron

jgreene44

Joined Dec 8, 2016
I guess the part I am not comprehending is why does it seem that I am not reading the full potential at the probes. I even shorted it a little to see if there was maybe some amperage or perhaps it needed to be in circuit? The thought crossed my mind that perhaps it could be used somehow as an adjustable ac source. I do not know. Seems like I am not reading whatever it is that heats a skillet to those temperatures. Your info seems accurate to me this far. Thanks!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
On mine the center post is isolated, just there to conduct heat. The hot and common plug pins go thru the bimetallic switch to the inner female pins.

You should never see a power output pin as a male pin, always female.