Electric Gable Exhaust Fan Repair.

LymanBay

Joined Aug 29, 2015
So... I have a gable fan installed in my attic. It is connected to a simple, dial thermostat.

I recently noticed that is was not coming on. I can tell you that the blade spins freely, so the motor doesn't appear to be ceased.

I've taken the following troubleshooting steps:

- Wired the fan directly to power to rule out the thermostat. The fan does not spin.

- Replaced the capacitor with an EXACT match in specs: 10mF +/- 5%, 250V AC. @50/60Hz. The fan does not spin.

- Checked voltage at the power feed: 124 V AC

So I have the correct power and a new cap. The blade spins, but can it still be the motor?

Guidance please.

Thank you in advance.

Have you tried spinning the fan with the power on (mind your fingers), to see if it reacts at all. There will probably be 2 windings, one connected between live and neutral, the other connected to live via the capacitor & neutral. Measure the resistance of both windings or if you havent got a meter connect the ends of each winding to a battery via a bulb to see if it lights. If it doesn't the winding has probably burnt out deep down somewhere in the layers of wire. But if you're lucky there might be a thermal fuse somewhere that's blown that you might be able to replace