Electric De-Soldering Pump damages pads

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You make good points.
Some aspects of RoHS are good, and some aren't. It annoys me to buy products that contain the California warning about lead. Power cords, brass plumbing fixtures, ...

Toyota's unintended acceleration problem was traced to tin whiskers by NASA. That cost dozens of deaths and injuries. Before the EU ban on leaded solder, it was known that tin whiskers were mitigated by adding lead to tin solder.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ed-89/&usg=AFQjCNFUNKdCA9br5U3d35z7WXjANXp-JQ

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
tin whiskers
I hadn't heard that before. I knew tin whiskers were an issue with satellites so I assumed whiskers would grow in the absence of an atmosphere. Hua! Learn something every week here. I also know about Cadmium subliming in space, clouding optics and creating short paths in the electronics, which is why Cadmium is also a banned material on satellites.

Wife test drove a Saturn G6 (I think). Getting on the freeway she hammered the throttle and the car shot down the ramp and on to the highway (virtually no traffic - certainly not in Los Angeles). She took her foot off the gas and with nervous excitement she said "It won't stop accelerating!" So I told her to put the transmission into neutral. As soon as she did that the engine throttled back. A BRAND NEW CAR! Would be hard pressed to persuade me it was due to Tin Wiskers. Nevertheless, we stopped looking at Saturn cars after that.

My, how far we've gotten off track. This post is about de-soldering and pad damage. MMMmmmmm. Pre-tin your tip, add flux to the joint to be desoldered, turn up the heat and don't dwell so long on the target. And don't apply too much pressure.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
With my spring loaded solder sucker, I've had pads lift on (home made) single sided boards.
IMO the worst offender is usually solder wick
Yes, I used to use one of those with that result so I switched to solder wick which has worked very well for me.

I think hobbyists in the EU can use leaded solder.
You can use leaded solder for repairs to equipment manufactured with it. Hobbyists cannot (legally) use leaded solder for making things though at least one of them does. I'm not going to just throw it out.

Toyota's unintended acceleration problem was traced to tin whiskers by NASA.
I was working for a company that had lots of obscure problems with a new product. It was eventually traced (by yours truly) to a screening can which was made of tin plated brass which is an excellent way of producing tin whiskers.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
You can use leaded solder for repairs to equipment manufactured with it. Hobbyists cannot (legally) use leaded solder for making things though at least one of them does. I'm not going to just throw it out.
I am a little lost. When you say that we can't use Leaded solder Legally? If that is the case then why or how can companies like Homedepot sale solder 60/40 in California? I know someone could say. Buying it isn't the issue, Using it is.. Well that wouldn't make since really. Most people that don't know about Soldering and Laws of RoHS and so on wouldn't have a clue that using such solder they bought form the local hardware store is not legally able to be used for repairing anything that isn't true...

However the USA did Ban using Leaded solder for use in plumbing because of the Lead issues found in drinking water and so on.... There is no ban on 60/40 solder for Electronics and I would love to see some Proof of what your saying that it is banned in the USA. One of my homes is in California and I needed to buy some more solder, Couldn't find anyone that carries it local besides Homedepot and they have Silver Solder and 60/40. Most times for Plumbing back when they used 50/50.... Also you can buy local at my place in WA, OR, and next month or so I will check in OH when a house I am buying closes...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There is no ban on 60/40 solder for Electronics and I would love to see some Proof of what your saying that it is banned in the USA.
There is no ban on solder with lead (for electronics) in the US; except maybe for California. RoHS only applies to the EU and, as far as I can tell, it only affects commercial manufacturers.

Regarding lead in plumbing, that has been phased out because the constant exposure to lead is bad. That doesn't mean that there aren't many many houses with lead in their plumbing. Brass fixtures are a source of lead, but they are still readily available.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
There is no ban on solder with lead (for electronics) in the US; except maybe for California. RoHS only applies to the EU and, as far as I can tell, it only affects commercial manufacturers.
I was talking about EU - I am in UK which, for the time being, is in the EU.
Strictly hobbyists are not allowed leaded solder.
Leaded solder is still available and is allowed for repair of equipment originally manufactured prior to the ban.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
didvidyn........purchase a set of flat tips that have the same surface area as the pad. The heating time will be faster than normal. As soon as you start sucking......crack the angle of the tip a little.....and it will clean top of pad also. With gobbed up pads......walk the crack around the pad while sucking.

Practice with components that still have long leads......it will help you learn to walk the crack around.

This keeps heat down to a minimum.....and hopefully on top where the last of the solder is.

Try it....you'll see what I mean. Buy the right size tips.