Electric current in Dishwasher's body

electron_prince

Joined Sep 19, 2012
I get slight electric shock (not very intense but can feel it) when I touch the inner part of the door.
IMG_20191213_005100.jpg

I have verified that there is current in the earth wire because of the dishwasher.

However, I see no difference in the working of the machine. Everything works just as it used to work in the past.

Does this point out that there is some issue with the dishwasher? Or does the problem lie with something else?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If you don't have the expertise then have a qualified person check your electrical connections for a possible loose ground wire. I've no idea of the source of the electrical leakage but it could be dangerous.

VernonLS

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Yes, there is an internal short in the machine and the fact that there is current in the earth wire tells you so. You are fortunate that the earth wire is handling most of the short or you would have gotten more than a tingle. Please have the machine repaired by a qualified technician.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
The product safety standard for dishwashers would permit an a.c. current of up to 0.35mA from an un-earthed accessible part (to earth).
If you have a suitable meter, you could measure this current with the ammeter connected between the inner door surface and a known good earth.
If you measure a current in excess of 0.35mA, it would suggest you have an earth fault within the appliance.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I think I'd have a bit more of a buzz from 12 glasses of wine, that's for sure!

Door is not properly bonded to ground. Suggest one of two things: Turn off the breaker and disassemble the door and have a look for an obvious missing bond wire or loose screw. Don't look here, I have lots of loose screws. The other thing you should consider, having a professional repair man look at it. If he can't solve your problem then call the company and insist they send someone who KNOWS what (s)he's doing. This problem should not be ignored.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Many years ago, I was flying back from business in California, got a late start and stopped in SLC for the night, At the restaurant, I ordered my usual scotch. No problem, except I had to register as an alcoholic. Thank goodness, I never wanted to compete with Mitt Romney., who never had to so register (as were are to believe)..

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I live in Utah. I don't have to register as an alcoholic. First, I'm not. Second, I'm not in denial either. Third, they just changed their beer from 3.2% alcohol to the same thing that is nationally available. I'm not a big beer drinker so I couldn't tell you what the national level is, but Utah is now on the same page. No registration that I'm aware of. Besides, I don't think Mitt drinks. Never met him so I don't know.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Third, they just changed their beer from 3.2% alcohol to the same thing that is nationally available.
I never knew what 3.2 beer was till my parents moved to Ohio in 1966. Growing up NY the drinking age back then was 18. In Ohio between 18 and 21 they served that 3.2 beer and actually I never knew the stuff still even existed. Anyway that all aside...

Touching the inner part of the door should not produce any shock if an appliance is properly grounded. Without actually seeing your appliance arrangement and power source it becomes hard to say why you get a shock, especially if you are not touching anything else.
If you don't have the expertise then have a qualified person check your electrical connections for a possible loose ground wire. I've no idea of the source of the electrical leakage but it could be dangerous.
I have to agree with that.

Ron