Electric air dusters

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
For some time now been looking for a refillable air jet can instead of the $6 a can throwaway kind. I have an air compressor but dragging stuff out to the garage to blow it out sucks. Lately been looking at these:
1623536042108.png
Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of units or a good refillable cannister?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Got a link? Not interested in high pressure gas cylinder requiring a regulator! Looking for something 80-100psi refillable from compressor or electric unit. Don't think I want an air brush compressor either...

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
K, those are aerosol (air + solvent) cans. I've seen several brands of those, and they typically tell you NOT to use just air for some reason? I found a Walter System, but it was a bit pricey @ $1000+. Not something I want to spend for my home usage. Plus, the wife would probably kill me if I did...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Here is $20 typical from Amazon. Most like this have the same caveat.
1623548044578.png
Now if someone wants to tell me it works fine... I'd be happy but find one with a better trigger mechanism.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
This one looks promising IF there is a fine tube nozzle available.
1623549814392.png
At least it's big enough not to have to keep running out to the garage to refill it with compressed air. Did see in the questions/comments that it is being used for air blowoff. Just might be the ticket... Cheaper and probably better constructed than the electrics.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
No, I do not have an instrument air dryer. LOL Filtered with auto condensate blowdown but not dried. Might just build another scrap Freon Air Tank with hose and blowdown nozzle. Last one from 30 years ago finally got a rust pit and leaked. Thin wall Freon tanks... Doesn't take very many $6 cans of store-bought air to add up quickly. And I have several things long overdue for blowing the dust bunnies out of.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Before we installed Instrument air dryers at the plant, they used Kotex Maxi Pads in a custom shop built inline filter holder. Years later the pads were still being listed in storeroom inventory. Too much trouble dragging installed pieces of equipment out to the garage to blow out plus around equipment on the bench. I just might build an air tank as it would also solve some problems of getting air out to tires around the house or on the road out of reach of the compressor hose.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yup, I had forgot about the small single charge desiccant driers. Last one I installed was a monster 20' tall dual bed autogenerating desiccant dryer for the entire plant. Most of the pneumatic instruments were gone but still used instrument air for personnel air hoods for confined entry spaces. My bench is my office and don't think the wife would be too happy if I started piping it for air supply. LOL Now if I was still using the small workroom in the garage...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I use something like this except it has a clear screw off polycarbonate filter bowl with auto "float" blowdown on the bottom of the bowl. No metal guard over bowl. Small filter for 30 gal. tank. And oil-free belt driven compressor set ~90psi of 230 psi possible.
1623556628986.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yeah but no oil to coalesce, just water vapor condensation. Never did get around to putting in tank drain float valve but hey, it's a home garage compressor, not a commercial business one.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I use something like this except it has a clear screw off polycarbonate filter bowl with auto "float" blowdown on the bottom of the bowl. No metal guard over bowl. Small filter for 30 gal. tank. And oil-free belt driven compressor set ~90psi of 230 psi possible.
View attachment 241156
That is a water separator not a dryer. If not constantly kept up by draining they just add water back into the air stream.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Might just build another scrap Freon Air Tank with hose and blowdown nozzle. Last one from 30 years ago finally got a rust pit and leaked. Thin wall Freon tanks...
Hope you already have an empty tank. My old portable freon air tank had the same problem a pin hole leak. So thought I'd just get another empty one, they don't exist or at lest not around here. So I did have one of the old type 20 pound propane tanks and there is a place on Ebay that sells an adapter fitting the screws into the valve and then has a 1/4" pipe thread to put a hose or air fitting into it.

A propane tank is made from much thicker metal than the freon tank some where between 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Plus it has a shutoff valve.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The new freon tanks don't work? Didn't realize that was a problem. Used to be all you had to do was ask and they'd gladly let you have one out of the trash pile.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The new freon tanks don't work? Didn't realize that was a problem. Used to be all you had to do was ask and they'd gladly let you have one out of the trash pile.
I called every HVAC place in my area, they all said the same thing no empty tanks available they don't use them now. Didn't bother to ask why.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Every auto parts sell conversion kits.

View attachment 241243
Have you tried to get the old type valve out of a propane tank? That looks like it goes in place of the original valve, see the pipe threads with locktite on them? I didn't want to make up a special wrench to get the valve out, My tanks protective wall (don't know the real name for it) around the valve was to close to get any kind of wrench I have on it and turn it and I have about every type of wrench.

What I bought is a left hand threaded adapter that seals into the tank valve like a regular grill hose does, but it is one piece with an internal pipe thread.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Even used propane tanks aren't cheap. Found a 5-gal 125-psi air tank @ Tractor Supply for $33 but it would still need some correct hose and fittings. Which any other tank would need anyway. Not in stock local but might just be the trick.