EHT power supply design and construction

Instrument addendum -- Final draft - stage 1 alpha proofreading.
Last action @8 Jun 2016 --- Moved to end of thread @ 7/24/2016
=============================

Medical instruments having readily available, non-medical 'equivalents':

Hemostatic forceps
Non-medical 'locking forceps' are mechanically and thermally better suited to electronics work than are their medical counterparts...

Please note:
Although 'non-surgical' hemostats are readily available, I am unaware of a satisfactory non-medical substitute for vulsella/tenacula?...
/////

Scalpels
'X-Acto' tools and their equivalents are effective, economical, substitutes for scalpels in nearly all non-surgical tasks requisite of precision sectioning.
/////

Endoscopy/Laparoscopy systems, etc...

-Although commonly available non-medical inspection cameras lack instrument channels (and, hence, manipulation capability), they are, generally, better suited to non-medical inspection-only applications than are 'bona fide' endoscopy systems.

-Non-medical fiberoptic inspection cameras are, in essence, passive laparoscopic imaging systems.

-While Certain 'drain inspection cameras' provide for transport of implements, their (large) size precludes application to most electric/electronic devices - A noteworthy exception being inspection of potted power distribution equipment (e.g. transformers, switch-gear, etc...)
/////

Picks
Picks are useful for prototyping and repairing PC boards, soldering and fine manipulation of materials. Nonsurgical picks fashioned of 'stainless' are ideal, while aluminum's high degree of thermal conductivity and relatively low hardness render it unsatisfactory for said applications (as does plated steel's 'propensity' for flaking)...
/////

Some medical instruments having application to electronics work:

Rongeurs
Non-medical uses of (principally, Stille-Luer) rongeurs include forming and sectioning of brittle, 'tough' and rigid plastics (e.g. Bakelite, epoxy and [C]PVC - respectively), sintered materials (e.g. ferrite and Fe Powder forms) and mineral based electric/thermal insulating materials (examples include fiberglass, mica and chrysotile) -- Note that, while I have experienced excellent "off label" results with said instruments, the reader is advised that less costly 'general purpose' solutions for the above tasks may exist! -- Should anyone be aware of a non-medical 'equivalent' available in single/small quantities at 'piece prices' of < $500 (USD) - Please advise me of same (via a post on this thread) such that I may 'update' this addendum):)

Image of Stille-Luer rongeurs:

/////

Vulsella/Tenacula

Non-medical uses of these highly recommended forceps include manipulation/dressing/winding of very fine conductors (down to #42 AWG), recovery of 'severed ends' from intricately wound assemblies, etc...

Types and tip patterns

While a wide variety of patterns/styles are available, I feel the following represent those most applicable to electronic/fabrication applications: (Should you disagree with said assessment -- please tell me about it!:))

-Schroeder/Braun (uterine) tenacula feature two opposing 'tips' having a 'square' convergence pattern (Braun) or a 'curved' convergence pattern (Schroeder) -- In either case selection of a atraumatic instruments is strongly advised! (Please see selection note #1 below).

-Barett (cervical) tenacula feature the 'Braun tip pattern' but with reduced overall instrument length.

-Schroeder (uterine) Vulsella feature two opposed 'forks' each of which being comprised of two or more 'tips' -- applications include recovery/extraction/manipulation tasks where the increased stability attendant to 'interlocking traction'/grasp is desirable.

Instrument selection notes --- Please read!:
1) To facilitate fine work and to avoid damage to the work-piece, use of atraumatic instruments (Specifically; those featuring non-overlapping tips -- e.g. 'Iowa'/'Teale') is essential! -- Properly specified, quality atraumatic forceps will remain in correct occlusion at full tension (i.e. beyond full ratchet engagement)...
2) A word of caution, as regards forceps style and pattern: -- inter-supplier disparity in nomenclature is an annoyance of longstanding! --- Point being - Prior to placing an order please be certain to view a distributor-supplied image of your prospective purchase!

Image of Braun uterine tenaculum forceps:

Image of Schroeder uterine vulsellum forceps:

/////

Curettes
Non-medical applications of curettes include sculpting of plastics (polymers) and removal of contaminates from surfaces - especially where a precisely controlled, highly restricted, cutting angle is desirable.

Curette types
-The 'blade' of a solid curette is merely a small, elongated, spoon featuring sharp edges -- useful where retrieval of 'parings' is desirable.

-The blade of a fenestrated curette is essentially a looped, inclined, band having a sharp 'cutting' edge.

Assortment of fenestrated uterine curettes.

/////

Trocars, Cannula, Syringes, Hypodermic needles, Catheters and their ilk:

Common non-medical uses include precise application of chemicals, removal of potting oil, etc... Although available from pharmacies at low cost, syringes and (especially) hypodermic needles, owing to their 'popularity' with intravenous substance abusers, will likely be age restricted in many areas -- moreover, the purchaser is advised to voluntarily apprise the pharmacist and/or security/compliance personnel of his/her intent sans prompting --- Be prepared to sign a register and show ID! --- Should pharmacies at your location be subject to regulations or policies preclusive of OTC sales of said items - you might find veterinary grade devices at agricultural supply centers (e.g. 'Mills', etc...) --- But please don't resort to duplicity or otherwise risk getting yourself into 'hot water' or acquiring an undeserved reputation as a 'Hype'!:eek:... -- These tutorials and projects are intended to be both educational and engaging -- Drama and trauma, however, need not apply!:rolleyes:

Note that glass syringes are ideal for their re-usability and excellent chemical/thermal properties...

Image of all glass syringe and associated 'plunger'

/////

Otoscopes

Non medical use includes general purpose low power microscopy, inspection of blind bores, recesses, Etc... Not to be confused with the visually similar opthamoloscope -- The latter instrument having little to no non-medical utility --- Please see the images below:

Image of a standard otoscope

Image of a standard opthamoloscope

/////

Specula
Non-medical applications include 'expansion clamping', fabrication/dressing of air-wound inductors, repairing coil-stock, placement of wave-guides, elastic ligatures and certain spring clamps - distensive [re]formation (as of conduit) and 'reverse-loading' of constrictive structures (e.g. [physically] elastic cavity resonators, etc...) to facilitate inspection and/or repair...

Considerations in regards to instrument selection:
-For these purposes my first choice is a 'standard' Winterton (2.45 cm by 13.83 cm) -- Alternatively a (large) Pederson or Cusco is acceptable. -- Note that Graves is inapplicable to most (non-medical) applications owing to its increased distal end girth ('spoon-bill form', if you will).

-Instruments fashioned of polymers should be avoided except where optical transparency is required - Note: polymer instruments are not necessarily good electrical insulators! - nor is it wise to rely upon the properties of 'electrosurgical coatings' outside of their designed application!

-Please avoid disposable stainless steel instruments -- Their 'light duty' construction renders them dubious as applied to 'off label' use...

++++++++++++++++++++
To be clear: My remarks (above) have no bearing whatever upon the relative or absolute merits of these instruments as applied to their designed purpose! --- I am addressing their suitability to certain non-medical applications only!
++++++++++++++++++++

Image of a Winterton speculum:

Image of a "Cusco-esk" speculum fashioned of polycarbonate:

/////

Radiographic devices:

Please note that discussion of EHT and radiological safety, devices, practices, procedures and technique will be incorporated into the tutorials where appropriate.

Non-medical apparatus applicable to electronics work:

Predrilled steel 'construction kits':

Aleph(0) said:
If you can find metal “Erector set” (sic.) it is extremely useful for prototyping electromechanical machinery and like that! It was originally sold as toy that went to plastic for safety but metal sets are available on ebay and I think there is equivalent metal set manufactured under a different brand name?
While I had to Google to get a reference page, the name I think your referring to is, "Mechano". Erector set was one of my favorite toys as a child. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano
Here's also a link to the many "Erector set" copies over the years - http://www.girdersandgears.com/systems.html

Pretty sure the metal Erector set is still available, or at least it was a few years ago.
Meccano is to Erector as Dinky is to Matchbox. The former was from England and the latter from U.S.A.

A source of clean anhydrous 'dusting' gas:
Owing to the regulatory requirement (USA) of addition of 'bittering agents' (denaturants) to commercial dusting spray products, substitution with USP/FCC CO2 or (reasonably) anhydrous compressed air is recommended. -- Note: I do not recommend use of compressed gaseous fuel products (for their flammability and potential contaminant content - e.g. 'odorants', traces of 'high-boiling' fractions, etc...)!

To be continued as required

Again, any and all on-list feedback is greatly appreciated:):):)

@Aleph(0)
As per your off-list request I have transmitted copies of the tutorial and instrument addendum to both your and @Jazz2C 's email addresses:) -- Moreover, I have moved said posts 'down-thread' for convenience (See posts #581 and #582)
Chat with you next week:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

@Aleph(0)

As per your request I have re-sent a 'raw copy' of the Tutorial (post #581) to your home email address -- Inasmuch as you advise the Addendum was successfully received in BB/HTML format, I can but assume the error was mine:oops: -- That said, please be advised that certain word processors may automatically process the formatting directives by default:rolleyes::mad: -- Hence 'safe keeping' of the attachment is advisable! -- Should JC's copy likewise be in 'Rich Text' format please share your (new) copy with him in the event he requires it - FWIW, based upon my conversation with him (yesterday), it seems he'll focus on the addendum and you on the tutorial? -- WHATEVER WORKS!!!:):):)

Gotta run! I'm already a day late to hurry up and wait:eek::oops::D

All the best
HP:)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
You haven't done EHT until you've done linear accelerator EHT
To be splitting hairs a coolidge tube is really just petite linear particle accelerator:D!

Now I'm saying big accelerator is what HP had in mind for her _under appreciated_ stainless tankers so she could make super electrets:)

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
@OBW0549 The name Bethune conjures up the horrors of World War 1.
That was a bit before my time. Not a lot before, but a bit before. I remember watching, as a little boy, the WWI veterans marching in the annual Decoration Day (as we called it then) parade. They were roughly the same age as I am now, or a few years younger.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Don't forget these "medical-grade boltcutters", for when you really, REALLY need to cut through something...
OBW0549 Tnx! So I think nonmedical functionality of bone shears for purpose of tutorial is handled by rongeurs (which are listed in addendum). But here's tag for @Hypatia's Protege so she'll be sure to see your suggestion:)

The name Bethune conjures up the horrors of World War 1.
Boatsman iirc instrument was named for Norman Bethune who invented it for benevolent use as surgical instrument. But since anything can be instrument of barbarism in wrong hand we don't anthropomorphize inanimate objects:) I say tools are like reality cuz they _just are_ without prejudice:D

Now I'm saying we're always happy to hear suggestions and we're sensitive to problems ppl have with content even if its just cuz of aesthetics or conjuring bad memories cuz we want readers to be happy and interested:)!

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
That was a bit before my time. Not a lot before, but a bit before. I remember watching, as a little boy, the WWI veterans marching in the annual Decoration Day (as we called it then) parade. They were roughly the same age as I am now, or a few years younger.
OBW0549 now you're making me feel like a little kid:(:cool:! OK city bombing was almost b4 my time and too long ago for me to remember:oops:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
OK city bombing was almost b4 my time and too long ago for me to remember:oops:
Oh, my... from my perspective, the OKC bombing is so clear in my mind it's like it was just yesterday. Going backward in time from there, I have plenty of other vivid memories:
  • The World Trade Center bombing;
  • The Waco, TX disaster;
  • Bill Clinton's inaugural parade, and their theme music ("Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac);
  • The first Gulf War;
  • When the Berlin Wall was torn down;
  • The Chernobyl nuclear disaster;
  • The Challenger space shuttle explosion;
  • The Iranian bombing of the US Marine barracks in Beirut;
  • The attempted Reagan assassination;
  • The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan;
  • The Iranian takeover of our embassy;
  • The Three Mile Island nuclear accident;
  • Jimmy Carter's inauguration;
  • The fall of Saigon;
  • Nixon's resignation;
  • The day I got out of the Army;
  • The Watergate breakin & investigation;
  • Nixon ordering the bombing of Cambodia;
  • The day I entered the Army;
  • The day I got my draft notice (on my 21st birthday, May 20, 1970);
  • The first Apollo moon landing;
  • That horrible "Summer of Fire," with the MLK and RFK assassinations and the urban riots;
  • The night I found out my Draft lottery number (183);
  • My first day of college;
  • The day I smashed my car into a phone pole;
  • The day I first drove solo in my first car;
  • The assassination of JFK (VERY vivid memories of that);
  • The Cuban missile crisis;
  • When the East Germans and the Soviets put up the Berlin Wall;
  • All of the Mercury and Gemini space missions (I was a serious science geek, even when young);
  • Sputnik; and
  • The Hungarian Uprising (1956).

My recollection of all of these things is so clear that they all feel like "current events." The JFK assassination, the Challenger explosion and the first Apollo moon landing are especially clear in my mind, and I remember in vivid detail exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@EETech Adam it's ok by me that you moved the thread just so our habit of off topic conversations isn't a problem:oops:?
Plz do me big favor and tell HP so she doesn't think moving thread was my idea:eek::)!

Now I'm saying tnks cuz now my posts on here count:)!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Oh, my... from my perspective, the OKC bombing is so clear in my mind it's like it was just yesterday. Going backward in time from there, I have plenty of other vivid memories:
  • The World Trade Center bombing;
  • The Waco, TX disaster;
  • Bill Clinton's inaugural parade, and their theme music ("Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac);
  • The first Gulf War;
  • When the Berlin Wall was torn down;
  • The Chernobyl nuclear disaster;
  • The Challenger space shuttle explosion;
  • The Iranian bombing of the US Marine barracks in Beirut;
  • The attempted Reagan assassination;
  • The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan;
  • The Iranian takeover of our embassy;
  • The Three Mile Island nuclear accident;
  • Jimmy Carter's inauguration;
  • The fall of Saigon;
  • Nixon's resignation;
  • The day I got out of the Army;
  • The Watergate breakin & investigation;
  • Nixon ordering the bombing of Cambodia;
  • The day I entered the Army;
  • The day I got my draft notice (on my 21st birthday, May 20, 1970);
  • The first Apollo moon landing;
  • That horrible "Summer of Fire," with the MLK and RFK assassinations and the urban riots;
  • The night I found out my Draft lottery number (183);
  • My first day of college;
  • The day I smashed my car into a phone pole;
  • The day I first drove solo in my first car;
  • The assassination of JFK (VERY vivid memories of that);
  • The Cuban missile crisis;
  • When the East Germans and the Soviets put up the Berlin Wall;
  • All of the Mercury and Gemini space missions (I was a serious science geek, even when young);
  • Sputnik; and
  • The Hungarian Uprising (1956).

My recollection of all of these things is so clear that they all feel like "current events." The JFK assassination, the Challenger explosion and the first Apollo moon landing are especially clear in my mind, and I remember in vivid detail exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news.
WOW!

fwiw here's list of some major events I remember but I might have chronology wrong:
+Breakup of STS shuttle Columbia.
+911 (attack on WTC and pentagon).
+Agricultural crisis cuz of bovine foot and mouth disease outbreak in UK.
+Close election of 2000.
+Death of Diana Spencer.
+Perihelion of Hale-Bopp
+vCJD scare in UK (just barely)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@EETech Adam it's ok by me that you moved the thread just so our habit of off topic conversations isn't a problem:oops:?
Plz do me big favor and tell HP so she doesn't think moving thread was my idea:eek::)!
Just so ppl know what's going on, @EETech Adam just let me know by pm that thread was moved to Power Electronics by accident so now it's all back to normal again which is ok with me cuz now I can save donning my D&Gs and best behavior for tutorial's debut on Projects forum and just be relaxed here:):D

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Jazz2C I say stop being a baby and just post your suggestions! Review is exactly what HP wants so she won't be angry cuz of corrections! Anyhow addendum was my idea so I fall on sword in your place if it doesn't fly:rolleyes: