EHT power supply design and construction

@Aleph(0)

While linear electron accelerators (LINACs if you must:rolleyes:) are (IMHO) a highly relevant topic in that photon energies to the '100 MeV range' may readily be achieved sans the 'asperities' of generation/insulation of 'ridiculous' EMFs. - Even so, I cannot advise rigorous treatment of said technology here -- As I see it, 'HV' is the 'hook' - beyond that the student may well develop 'deeper' interests (e.g. radiography, radiology and, we can but hope; quantum physics) -- but (sadly) 'demonstration-friendly' topics will always be the draw (just ask Madison Avenue!;)) -- My opinion, of course...

Hey Aleph --- Please consider resuming participation here (on AAC in general) -- even if it's merely Q/A format (nothing does, or ever will, approach anything like perfection to the perspective of all) --- I miss ya!

Sincerely
HP

Kind friends

It has come to my attention that some readers of this thread are frustrated by posts containing 'broken' links to many (indeed, most) accompanying images and illustrations. Please be advised that said difficulty is owed entirely to my lack of foresight!:oops: --- Inasmuch as I located said resources on my blog (over the course of the months and years prior to the latest fora upgrade) such that same might merely be linked from posts in the fora...

Although said action seemed judicious at the time (e.g. upon discovery of error{s}, etc - corrections/revisions need only be made to the 'errant' resource{s} to which the links pointed --- as opposed to every post displaying same). But then I was well aware that the (previous) blog feature was a 'third party' subsystem and, hence, might reasonably have been expected to perceive the 'danger' as it were (my lazy:oops:) --- Long story short - the fora software was upgraded to a version providing a native blog feature, hence links changed and most (existing) blog 'attachment content' was lost...

So here's the deal!
If you've just 'gotta' view an attachment - please tell us what you need via a post here (i.e. to this thread) or PM @Hypatia's Protege (i.e. myself) or @Aleph(0) --- Please be advised that while @Aleph(0) no longer actively participates on these fora, she claims to 'lurk' hence she'll likely see requests posted to the thread - note, however, that she'll not have access to her private messages nor cognizance of new messages unless 'logged-in' -- That said, inasmuch as it was she who gave me the 'heads up' Re: this situation - I expect she's more closely attending the thread and, one can but hope, troubling to occasionally 'log in' -- And, by the by, many thanks to the member{s} who alerted her via email, text or whatever...

In any event I'm confident that, between the two of us, we'll find what you need (in our respective archives) such that we may 're-up' same to the 'bereft' posts on this thread:)

Very best regards -- and many thanks for your continued interest! :)

HP

PS --- Please include post number{s} and 'broken link' addresses with your requests....

Last edited:
@Hypatia's Protege @Aleph(0) Hi, hope the two of you have stayed well.

Now the hard question. Will this project ever be completed? There have been many ups and downs in it, some caused by me, but this is a overall good project that should be seen to fruition.
--Emphasis Added--

What with the 'privations' (for our purposes, utterly unworkable implementation) of the new blog feature - coupled with a shift of 'fora culture' away from project-oriented content (e.g. fora management's insistence that --with, so it seems, the exception of this thread-- we confine such content to said ill-conceived blog feature) and --perhaps most significantly-- @Aleph(0) 's 'standoffishness':rolleyes: - I very much doubt it:(

That said, it is my stance that we owe completion of 'opened projects' to all 'invested' parties (i.e. all interested AAC members) -- IOW I'd very much like to complete said projects, however, under the 'prevailing conditions', it's just not on (here and/or at this time)...

For the record - We hold no ill-will toward the fora staff whatever! - Speaking for myself, I can well understand how the rambling, abortive, occasionally over-personal nature of several of our posts to this thread may be off-putting to certain members/staff, and, indeed, raise questions as regards our professionalism -- Which is to say we don't claim to be educators but are willing to give it another try - given a chance:) --- Otherwise fair enough (sincerely):cool:

Again, anyone having requests Re: 'repair' of 'broken' links to image or Spice resources, etc please let us know such that we might locate and 're-up' the lost content...

@shortbus , @cmartinez , @JohnInTX , @Yaakov @djsfantasi Et al many thanks for your continued interest!

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:
Another dumb question from me. Since you have done almost all of the content of the actual build(so far) why count on Aleph? Copy YOUR content and start your own thread.
Well, ya see I kinda like @Aleph(0) -- my own 'flesh and blood' and all that (No! Not litterally @joeyd999 :rolleyes:) @Aleph(0) 's 'problem' is 'thread politics' as it were -- whereas my stance is 'when in Rome...'

Another dumb question from me.
Ya know -- As you are likely well aware, you are neither 'dumb' nor require the services of a 'shortbus' -- ok, so we were all nubies at one time but as you are well past that I would not and cannot class any of your observations, etc as unfounded...

Very best regards
HP

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Ya know -- As you are likely well aware, you are neither 'dumb' nor require the services of a 'shortbus' -- ok, so we were all nubies at one time but as you are well past that I would not and cannot class any of your observations, etc as unfounded...
There are many on these fora here that will disagree with your statement. But thank you. I too while in no way related to Aleph like her also, but there has been too much good in this thread to let it go unfinished. Just my opinion.

I base most of my answers on experience not theory, theory comes from books but experience comes from the world.