EFFECTS ON POWER FACTOR

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Hi Guys, :rolleyes:

What will be the effect on 'Power Factor' of the power supply system under the following conditions:-

1) If I were to connect several inductors in ‘parallel’ with the power supply system.

2) If I were to connect several inductors in ‘series’ with the power supply system.

Thanks & Regards,
Shahvir

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
What are your calculations up to now?
:rolleyes: 1) I think the phase angle between V and I would increase (resulting in a lower p.f.)........ if i were to increase the no. of inductors in parallel.

2) I think the vice-versa would occur if I were to increase the no. of inductors in series.

I am still unclear on the concept though........ didn't get a clear indication from technical literatures too.:(

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
By paralleling inductors you reduce the total inductance seen by the power supply and thus the angle of the total impedance decreases. Thus the angle between the voltage and current decreases.

By putting inductors in series you increase the total inductance seen by the power supply and thus the angle of the total impedance increases. Thus the angle between the voltage and current increases.

I got confused before :p

The total inductance of inductors in parallel is reduced.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
By paralleling inductors you reduce the total inductance seen by the power supply and thus the angle of the total impedance decreases. Thus the angle between the voltage and current decreases.

By putting inductors in series you increase the total inductance seen by the power supply and thus the angle of the total impedance increases. Thus the angle between the voltage and current increases.

I got confused before :p

The total inductance of inductors in parallel is reduced.
Okay.......... but if that's the case, then i can easily improve my system power factor by adding a no. of lightly loaded induction motors or flourescent lamps containing chokes in parallel to the power system. They would, then, automatically improve system p.f. :(

Then, there would be no requirement of p.f. correction equipment like capacitor banks! :confused:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Power factor correction is typically worth consideration only in industrial settings. How many megawatts do you need in your application? And did you know that residential power factor is not usually monitored by the utility?

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Power factor correction is typically worth consideration only in industrial settings. How many megawatts do you need in your application? And did you know that residential power factor is not usually monitored by the utility?
Thanx, but I think you have misinterpreted me............ this is a purely theoretical query. It isn't related to residential power supply either ;)