Effect of high hard disk on the processor

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you mean with "high hard disk" a "large hard disk"?
The performance of a laptop depends on several parts.
It is the processor power, the speed of the hard disk (seek time, read time, write time) and the memory size and speed.

Bertus

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Not sure what is the question.
It is like asking, do traffic lights have an effect on cars?
A processor can run at a maximum speed. If the hard drive cannot supply data fast enough then throughput will suffer.

NICE1

Joined Jun 21, 2017
Hello,

Do you mean with "high hard disk" a "large hard disk"?
The performance of a laptop depends on several parts.
It is the processor power, the speed of the hard disk (seek time, read time, write time) and the memory size and speed.

Bertus
Thanks, I mean larger hard disk. Whether it will affect the low processor power

Kylemwh

Joined May 27, 2018
Hi bro,

your question makes sense

the answer is no the capacity of your hard drive does not affect your CPU speed. You can have a 1tb and a 250gb hd but if they spin at the same rpm. No difference occurs.

the speed of data transfer can, which is why a solid state hard drive costs more but is much faster, especially if you have the operating system (e.g windows, mac osx, linux) installed on it. But it will be how fast the data comes, the cpu will still work at the same speed it would have anyway.

in fact a easy quick upgrade is more RAM and stick an SSD in it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks, I mean larger hard disk. Whether it will affect the low processor power
There's no definitive answer.

A larger hard drive can improve or degrade CPU performance. How you use it will affect performance.

If you have a large drive that is lightly used (i.e. not near capacity) can speed or slow performance. A smaller drive that is highly fragmented and near capacity can have a huge negative impact on performance.

Many things contribute to overall system efficiency: memory, page file size, fragmentation, drive speed (RPM), drive capacity, latency, etc.