Is this Project a Good Idea?

• Definitely not!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SimplyElectronics

Joined Jul 14, 2016
Hi Guys,

I hope this is received in good will.

I am really passionate about inspiring new electronics enthusiasts. This world needs more of them!

I took it upon myself to try and do this in a very visual way. I am currently creating a brand which is in its infancy and have all confidence in it growing and maturing.
I want a community of experts, hobbyists and newbies to join me and take part in a community of support and encouragement.

I have recently started a YouTube channel SimplyElectronics

In the last month I have seen nearly 100 additional subscribers, and I find it really exciting and motivating to see a potential for a really great community.

I have many plans ahead of me to make my channel and brand a much more interactive experience, allowing users to partake in experimentation, and learn in new ways. Most importantly, having fun!

As a community here, I hope you will join me. I know the brand is young, and has much room for improvement. But just as with anything, it will mature and flourish!

Thank You!

Simply Electronics Signature.png

SimplyElectronics

Joined Jul 14, 2016
Apart from the Everycircuit app only giving the option for Earth Ground for the common symbol!:(
Max.
I agree, and actually have submitted some feedback to the developer on a few flaws or additional features needed. I'm sure the more that suggest the changes, the more the word gets through!

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
I noticed that your videos were showing electron flow in stead of conventional current. I have seen that as a bone of contention and a source of confusion for some people. I can see engineers designing IC chips thinking in terms of electron flow but what about other engineers, designing circuits, PC boards, analog, digital. Do you professionals think electron flow or conventional current?

SimplyElectronics

Joined Jul 14, 2016
I noticed that your videos were showing electron flow in stead of conventional current. I have seen that as a bone of contention and a source of confusion for some people. I can see engineers designing IC chips thinking in terms of electron flow but what about other engineers, designing circuits, PC boards, analog, digital. Do you professionals think electron flow or conventional current?
My latest videos have been switched to conventional with a video explaining why. Electron flow was required in early videos to show the physical workings of circuits i.e my batteries and electron flow video.

I wouldn't call myself a professional by any means. But for myself, when working on theoretical terms, sometimes electron flow is easier to work from, but for the most part, I always work with conventional flow.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Your being a great inspiration for those starting out, by making these videos available.

May I suggest, this is my own personal opinion,
that in analysing transistor circuits, both conventional, and electron current flow needs to be well understood, and used in describing circuit analysis.

I have found, that when working with signal currents, especially switching transistors, if its positive logic, than conventional flow works very easily to analyse signal flow, there are times when working with PNP transistors, that I use electron flow, when I need to analyse negative going signals into its base, ect...

An example could be both a digital or analog ciruit consisting of a NPN inverter stage direct coupled to a PNP common emitter stgage, the NPN could be assumed to be acting as a current sink to its collector load, which would include the base of the PNP, using conventional analysis.
However using electron signal flow, the NPN is a source of electrons to make the base of the PNP neg. to turn it on.

So using both flow analysis, should be importantly introduced to teach about circuit analysis.

Also would it be more appropriate, to call conventional current flow, positive current flow, so as to not introduce confusion to a beginner, about electronic flow.

SimplyElectronics

Joined Jul 14, 2016
Your being a great inspiration for those starting out, by making these videos available.

May I suggest, this is my own personal opinion,
that in analysing transistor circuits, both conventional, and electron current flow needs to be well understood, and used in describing circuit analysis.

I have found, that when working with signal currents, especially switching transistors, if its positive logic, than conventional flow works very easily to analyse signal flow, there are times when working with PNP transistors, that I use electron flow, when I need to analyse negative going signals into its base, ect...

Thank You for your positive and reassuring comments! :)

Given that this channel is still a ways off from very complicated theory, I don't think I need to worry about this any time soon. But I will certainly keep this in mind for when it gets to this stage. I think the flow of electrons is definitely one of the biggest confusion factors for beginners.

Transistors are something that will be explored on SimplyElectronics in the near future. But only at the basic level.

As my channel matures, I aim to start drip-feeding more complex theory and practical demos.

I am completely self-taught, and found it difficult to learn as a beginner because information was so scattered. My aim is to make this a channel where everything can be learned from the true basics, right to the advanced level without having to use many sources of info.

So as you can imagine, this is going to be quite a Journey!

SimplyElectronics

Joined Jul 14, 2016
Also, there are many instances where Mosfet's and IGBT's are now replacing traditional NPN/PNP transistor methodology.
Max.
Absolutely!

Need More power! Must switch faster!

Shall certainly be covered :)

Anyone who does follow me, If I ever miss a spot/theory/application. Let me know. I'll put it right ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Do you professionals think electron flow or conventional current?
I started fixing vacuum tube TV's in 1970 and cashed my first paycheck as an analog designer in 1974. Does that make me a, "professional"? I realize that there are people who are almost rabid about their favorite model. In the course of learning, I used anything I could find. Some schematics were using electron flow, some were using conventional flow. Therefore, I learned to think in either model. I firmly believe that plusatrons do not jump off the front of a CRT in anticipation of an electron being released from the cathode. I also believe that conventional flow makes the math easier because it gets rid of all those "minus" signs. I believe that using a positive voltage for the power supply rail was caused by vacuum tube design and the fact that early NPN transistors worked better than early PNP transistors (mostly, better current gain). Some schematics don't read from top to bottom, and that seems to make them more difficult to read.

Notice that I am using words like, "model" and, "convention", not, "truth" and, "blasphemy". I make no claim that one model is the, "correct and only possible explanation". The definition of, "convention" is, "an agreement among people", not, "the only possible explanation". The definition of, "model" is, "what we have right now that works". You are asking about models and conventions. I can think in either model, but the go-to model for me is electron flow because conventional flow doesn't seem to make sense for vacuum tubes. Vacuum tubes is where I started, so electron flow is where I can get down and dirty with the math and theory. I just have more experience with electron flow.

When I do transistor designs, I think in conventional flow...until I meet a difficult point. Then I revert to electron flow. It's all a matter of convenience as far as I'm concerned. So, there you have it. Conventional flow is more convenient, most of the time. Electron flow is the theory I can use to actually count electrons. Electrons are visualized as physical particles. Charges are kind of ephemeral to me, like the old term "ether" representing the magical stuff through which radio waves travel.

When I need a rock solid model, I use electron flow because it's rock solid in my mind. Then I meet a switching regulator and I have to use a charge model for the energy in the magnetic field of the inductor. So, pick one if you want to. I use two or three.