Editing my V mount battery plate

ruebenad

Joined Apr 21, 2017
Hello

I hope I'm allow to post here, this is a sort of off topic yet maybe it's not question.

I own an expensive camera called a Ursa Mini Pro, that requires the additional purchase of a "industry standard" v mount plate. This plate acts as the connection point between the 12v battery and the power going into the camera and/or additional devices.

The v mount plate I was meant to buy would have come with the correct connector that would have plugged into the camera. Mine does not so before I go spend more money on another plate I thought I should at least see if there is any danger in soldiering on the correct connectors so I can pass power onto the camera, while still delivering power into all the other output options seen on the v mount plate.

Please view the following image, it shows where I think I should attach the wires....basically soldiering them right onto the wires that come from the battery, at the same point the power would then flow around the v mount circuitry.

https://goo.gl/photos/etH5zVkrF2RB6gPBA

Rueben_20170421-152654.jpg

Regards Rueben

Moderators note : uploaded image to forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
That circuit obviously provides various output voltages so includes various regulators. What voltage does your camera require and how accurate/stable does it need to be?

ruebenad

Joined Apr 21, 2017
The camera requires 12v input.

The V mount battery that would power the camera is saying 12000mAh, 14.8v, 177Wh

The mains power adaptor that came with the camera states an output of 12v 8.33A

Other than that I can not see any information on the manufactures site about how accurate and stable the power has to be. I guess your suggesting if I have other devices attached the the v mount plate then the 12v going to the camera will become unstable?

If so could this do damage to the camera, it would not simple turn off due to not getting enough power?

Thank you for your reply!

Regards Rueben

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Since the battery voltage can be as high as 14.8V it's possible a low drop-out regulator is used to drive the socket labelled 12V. The pic seems to show the copper trace feeding that 12V socket going off to the right, i.e. not directly to the battery connection points?
Perhaps you could get the camera manufacturer to confirm that 14.8V won't harm it?