e-cigarettes

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Local speed displays always show me going 3% to 6% slower than my speedometer because they are mounted at the side of the road and the angle creates an error.
New cars and bikes are sold with speedos that read about 5-6% fast, as standard practice. It's mainly for legal reasons from what I understand. ie; if someone is in an accident and their speedo read slow they could blame the car.

Selling the car with a speedo that reads a bit fast gives them legal protection
and a little safety buffer. :)

If you want your exact speed just put your GPS/phone on the dash and travel in a straight line for a minute or two, it will give a really accurate speed indication.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't have a GPS or a smart phone, but I have a wrist watch.:)

You have probably been as amazed as I have when examining the simplicity of devices used to measure really scientific stuff. Six percent off is 3.6 seconds on a 60 second mile, and my wrist watch is a lot better than that. I'd have to be drunk to miss the mile marker by a whole second.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I did the timed test a long time ago over a 10 mile stretch of i10 in the fl. Panhandle. I set the cruise control on 60 and began timing the mile markers. Those that were off the mark, we said it was easier to move the marker than drill through the buried boulder. :)

I still do the timed mile now and then on long drives.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
In each of my three vehicles (one of which is 10 and one of which is 14 years old, lest I be accused of boasting,) they all read within one or two mph of the GPS reading...too close to call, really.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
5 days later and my "Ego-T" is having issues. The button's spring is kaput and the button gets stuck half way in. It leaks now, too; once into my mouth and made my lips go numb. I did some research and found out that I paid 50% more than online price for a legitimate Ego and I walked away with a knockoff. I guess I'll be a more savvy shopper now.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You might have to re-engineer it. :)
I was reluctant to open it up since it appeared to be sealed and it's the only one I have. If I were to break it, I would have to go buy another knockoff at 300% markup. So I ordered a kit of the real thing that includes 2 complete devices and a bunch of spares of everything. It cost the same as this one knockoff I bought locally. Waiting for it to arrive, I got impatient and pryed the thing open anyway. Got the button fixed and all is well. Now I have 2 more coming.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Metalman has been doing this, modifying and repairing them. He has a thread here about them.

If you don't mind, could you say where you ordered the new ones? Or PM the link. I'd like to try them. Tried one of the throw away ones and didn't like it much. But would like to get the nicotine without the smoke and tar.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Metalman has been doing this, modifying and repairing them. He has a thread here about them.

If you don't mind, could you say where you ordered the new ones? Or PM the link. I'd like to try them. Tried one of the throw away ones and didn't like it much. But would like to get the nicotine without the smoke and tar.
I got this kit. It's a new ebay seller and I think, like me, as he is just starting out he is offering unreasonably low prices with free shipping. I will let you know if everything is OK when I get mine (not fake, not broken, all good).

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Found The new ecig (s) on the porch today. Opened it up and tried it out, works good. I don't think it is all that much better than the chinese knockoff which can be had for $15 on ebay, but it comes with several replacement atomizers and tanks, not to mention it's two complete cigs. I think it is a good value.

If you're looking to transition completely from cigarettes to ecigs, it won't exactly be a "bumpless" transfer. I blew my whole 2 week cigarette budget on my first ecig, so I kinda forced mmyself to do it. I was cranky for a couple of days, but so far I haven't gone out and bought any more cigarettes. I did smoke a couple with my brother but honestly I didn't like it as much as my ecig now that I'm used to it.

This is much better economically and health wise. Of course not as good as quitting outright, but for now it works. Barely half way through my first bottle of sauce.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I hope you didn't order that kit already, because I'm about to modify my review.

After using it for 20 hours, I have the following complaints:
The tank is too small. Only holds 1mL, which isn't enough to get me through the day. My chinese one holds 1.6, which is enough.

The tank is not transparent, so you can't actually see how much is in there. You know its empty when it's empty. My chinese one is clear glass, with graduated markings. much better.

The tank leaks into the device. My chinese one leaked a little, but not near as bad as this.

The tank is a removable bit, which you must remove, uncap (PITA to uncap), fill, recap, reinsert. It's an added step over my chinese model and I see no benefit of it.

I am going to buy more atomizers for my chinese model and just use the batteries from this kit.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So you're not going to build a big supercharged one with 8000mAh battery and extra large tank?

Where's your hacker spirit man? ;)
Nah, I'd prefer not to walk around with a dildo poking up out of my pocket. There's a guy at work smokes a pole like that, and I get the giggles when I see see him use it. Looks like he's trying to play the clarinet backwards.

This one is hardly larger than a pen, and doesn't look out of place in a breast pocket.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
My first cigarette which costed 20 Euro does not work right anymore.

Only little smoke. Cleared out the mesh yesterday with lighter fuel, so guess, maybe the battery is flat.

Bought a new one, rechargeable, with 10 cartridges, only 5 Euro!

The taste is very good. It's also possible to refill these catridges a little, just a few drops. At first, no smoke, but then very strong.

The heater is V-shaped, and strong, gives a lot of smoke. The cartridges actually have a tin foil which is pierced.

I saw this today on the net:

"We have an obligation to protect the workforce from the effects of secondhand aerosol exhaled by people who choose to 'vape' on e-cigarettes," said City Council member Mitch O'Farrell, who co-sponsored the proposal.
"We also have a responsibility to protect our youth and everyone else in public places from the carcinogens found in the ultra-fine particles in e-cigarette aerosol," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/los-angeles-city-council-approves-e-cigarette-ban-000452238--sector.html

I am almost baffled by such a bullying speech.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I can update this now with a few things that suck:

These suck. Worked for the first 5 drags, then gets sauce-logged and clogs.

These suck. They aren't the right dimension for CE5 as they claim, so it leaks and you can't screw the tank on all the way or it shorts out the battery.

These suck. Sauce starts leaking into the air tube almost immediately and going into your mouth, and leaks into your pocket.

I'm further downgrading these from post #52 to full suck status. The tanks suck and leak as I already pointed out, and since the batteries are interchangeable, I've neglected the rest of the kit and just been using the batteries with my chinese CE5 tank. I've noticed that my Chinese knockoff eGo-T battery hits harder after a full day of use than these genuine, authentic Joyetech eGo-C batteries do right off the charger (and they're supposed to be the same thing). My chinese battery will last almost two days and these Joyetech batteries are dead before I get home from work.

So far none of this crap has been worth a damn since the initial purchase of the chinese CE4.

My brother in law just ordered this, and if it sucks less than everything else I've tried, I might get one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Feedback and Suggestions 20
G General Electronics Chat 20