Cigarettes and AAC?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
ElectroTech has just been sold to WTWH Media, LLC. Edaboard was also recently acquired by WTWH. Very interesting.

A very long time ago, a college friend's mother gave me a tour of the PhilipMorris/Liggett & Meyers plant in Durham, NC. I was amazed with the automation, but the message that stuck with me throughout the years was an off-hand comment she made that cigarette companies knew that all cigarettes were the same. Market share was determined solely by the number of different brands offered.

I have not been particularly active on AAC for the past couple of years. While its owner should act in his own best interests, I hope he will also consider the ramifications of a single owner for the three best electronic forums.

Regards, John

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
oh god they have been sold off to a professional media company?

So one could join there again without becoming banned just for not only asking dumb questions and saying yes thank you to all answers?

No disussion/flaming/inciting, just simple yes/no answer is sought.

I posted photos from a chinese radio PCB and just that was enough to become banned (it's not OK to buy chinese stuff at all). It is not forgotten.

My reply might be seen as inciting but I see above as a fact as it looks to me, and only want to know if management/moderation has changed to the better, yes or no.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
[...]

I have not been particularly active on AAC for the past couple of years. While its owner should act in his own best interests, I hope he will also consider the ramifications of a single owner for the three best electronic forums.

Regards, John
Hello John, thanks for informing us.

I didn't get what you said, in the lines I quote. Do you mean that jrap should consider that a monopoly of online electronics fora isn't good for the community and not relent to selling AAC as well?

I find it a bit surprising that what was merely a hobby and a community formation just 5 years ago is now a product to be sold and to make profit out of. Does anyone have a guess on the scale of the site's value?

From my limited experience, when a forum serves professional causes and interests, the number of moderators increases dramatically, as a first sign. Afterwards, not immediately but gradually, old and active moderators get disgruntled with the new lines of moderation they have to enforce and eventually leave, taking a big part of the forum's flavour with them.

What was the initial reaction from ETO members, seeing their site getting sold and them being re-directed to edaboard?

P.S. If WTWH decides to buy AAC as well, I really want to see them trying to reach jrap ;)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Maybe professional moderation will help that site. It sure could use some help.
It seems more likely that the corporate overlords will change the rules at ETO based on their assessment of their own risks and legal situations. I would not care to predict how that might turn out.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have had the pleasure of speaking one-on-one with the new owners over at ETO. I was a bit concerned at first and was worried about what the site would be turned into. After speaking with the gentlemen at WTWH, however, I am feeling more comfortable with the change. They're a great group of guys, and WTWH is still a fairly small company. Since the change we have seen a large influx of new, genuine members (not spammers or trolls) which is very refreshing after the lull that began about a year ago. Originally there were some bugs, delays/lags, adverts, etc that caused some issues on ETO, but the new owners are friendly and will speak with you one-on-one if you have any concerns. Many of the bugs have now been fixed, and ElectroMaster is still an administrator there. If you don't feel comfortable talking to the new owners, you can always contact him.

Personally, I would recommend giving the new owners a chance, if you ever were, are, or are considering becoming a member at ETO.

As for AAC, however, I am still glad to hear that it will remain privately-owned. This site is doing a fantastic job as it is, and I have not seen much, if any, loss of members. In fact, I think here at AAC the membership has continued growing, so why change it? ;)

My $0.02.

Regards,
Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Maybe professional moderation will help that site. It sure could use some help.
To my knowledge, the moderation staff will not be changed by the new owners. EM did, however, change things around prior to the transition. There are two new moderators (JimB and myself), and Nigel Goodwin and Ian Rogers are still moderators as well. Personally I don't think we need professional moderation, though I may be a bit biased. :rolleyes:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The moderation there is horrible. I was there a long time. Things will never change on their own.
I had some issues with moderation myself. Things have not changed on their own--they have had a lot of help. For one thing, there is a new, clearer set of rules, the staff has changed, the membership has changed, etc. Obviously it's completely up to you whether you want to believe me or not, but the site is much different than it was when you were there.

If you would like to talk about any issues you had with specific people, or have any questions about the new setup, feel free to PM me. I'd like to help in any way I can.

Regards,
Matt

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
There was never any problem with the rules. There was a problem with a lack of consistent enforcement and lack of troll and abusive members filtering. Changing the rules wont' fix the problems that persisted at that site. The problems started with EM himself, and as long as he runs the show, problems will remain. I have no interest in ever returning.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I would take those website valuations with a grain of salt :)
I always do, but I'd have to find other valuation sites for comparison. Besides, it's good to know what the perceived value of your site is ... in case someone offers to buy it.

I'm sure they would counter with all the known valuation sites, to illustrate to the owner the low valuations.

I'm glad your not thinking of selling jrap.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G General Electronics Chat 20
takao21203 Off-Topic 60