DVR STOPS RECORDING

jxa512

Joined Feb 3, 2016
Dvr stops recording when I turn off tv manually. In the process I don't turn off the satellite box. if I leave tv on, the dvr recording is not affected. is there anything I can do to correct this problem?

jxa512

Joined Feb 3, 2016
I have it set up with the coaxial cable going into the satellite box and then the a/v cable going from box to the dvr.(it is not a directv dvr)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I have it set up with the coaxial cable going into the satellite box and then the a/v cable going from box to the dvr.(it is not a directv dvr)
You sure?
If its not directtv then what is it?
Have you contacted their support department?

If the source is going directly into the DVR before it goes into the TV then all "should" be just fine..
Is the TV attached to the DVR or Satellite box and how via HDMI maybe?

jxa512

Joined Feb 3, 2016
I have a Magnavox hdd/dvr recorder. I have the coaxial cable going to the satellite box, hdmi cable goes from satellite box to TV (video 1 ) a/v cables going out from box to DVR in. I have a/v cables going out from DVR to Tv input. hdmi out from DVR goes to TV(video 2) is this set up wrong?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Could be that the satellite box is seeing that the TV is off via the HDMI connection and it stops bypassing the signal to any upstream devices (your DVR)..
Or that the HDMI from DVD to TV is doing the same and stopping the DVR..

Last edited:

jxa512

Joined Feb 3, 2016
I never thought of that. maybe I should remove hdmi cable when i'm recording and have it record in analog signal?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
A little trial and error should help you figure it out..
Remove each HDMI cable one at a time and use something "less intelligent" like A/V cables and see which one causes the DVR to stop..

HDMI's do much more than older cable styles in that they are bidirectional and allow communications between both devices..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Why don't you call the company where you get the service? Might as well get some support for all that money you spend each month.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Why don't you call the company where you get the service? Might as well get some support for all that money you spend each month.
He has a "standalone" DVR like a TIVO to avoid paying monthly through the Satellite company for their Cable+DVR boxes..
They will not support aftermarket products..

To me the solution is simple and all thats needed is in post #10 to determine the problem/potential solution..
I'm 99% positive that its due to the HDMI cable and the signal thats sent when the TV is turned off.. Now he just needs to see if the Sat to TV connection has anything to do with it or the DVD/TV connection.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a Magnavox hdd/dvr recorder. I have the coaxial cable going to the satellite box, hdmi cable goes from satellite box to TV (video 1 ) a/v cables going out from box to DVR in. I have a/v cables going out from DVR to Tv input. hdmi out from DVR goes to TV(video 2) is this set up wrong?
How do you replay things you've recorded on your TV?

I have HDMI from my satellite box going to a Magnavox HDD/DVR and I have an HDMI out from the DVR going to the TV.

jxa512

Joined Feb 3, 2016
Reply to post #11. I've enclosed an attachment with a diagram of my setup at home. I removed the hdmi cable and solely used the a/v cables as my input and outputs and got the same results. the dvr records but it is all a blank screen when I play it back.

Attachments