Dvorak users?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
model M?
Thats one I'm seriously considering getting :)
No, this one is a touch more modern it's a Lexmark IBM one, model 82Gxxxx with date 7/10/95 on the model sticker. (edit, okay it is exactly a model M!)

It's the same as this one (but my IMB logo is blue);

My main PC I use for programming and writing has an older and BETTER one, "XT" keyboard, the heavy extra large-type with the full metal frame.

It looks like the one above, but has a larger top area above all the F keys. I tried to google but really can't find any photos of the older style! What a shame.

I keep an eye out for old keyboards and grab them when I can, they also get pulled apart and repaired from time to time. Leads fail, LEDs get dry joints, but generally the button mechanisms and contacts GO FOREVER. :D

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
No, this one is a touch more modern it's a Lexmark IBM one, model 82Gxxxx with date 7/10/95 on the model sticker. (edit, okay it is exactly a model M!)

It's the same as this one (but my IMB logo is blue);

My main PC I use for programming and writing has an older and BETTER one, "XT" keyboard, the heavy extra large-type with the full metal frame.

It looks like the one above, but has a larger top area above all the F keys. I tried to google but really can't find any photos of the older style! What a shame.

I keep an eye out for old keyboards and grab them when I can, they also get pulled apart and repaired from time to time. Leads fail, LEDs get dry joints, but generally the button mechanisms and contacts GO FOREVER. :D
Oh that sucka brings back some memories. Ands its lil rollerball mouse. People still used mouse pads.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Why would you NOT use a mouse pad?

It's more comfortable under the hand, and easy to pick up and clean, shake dust off it etc.

Do you just scrape your mouse around on the desk? :eek:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Why would you NOT use a mouse pad?

It's more comfortable under the hand, and easy to pick up and clean, shake dust off it etc.

Do you just scrape your mouse around on the desk? :eek:
No a friend gave me this $175 mouse that has ballasts for weight control and these things on the bottom that pretty much glide over anything. Some sort of plastic rubber feet.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Don't you miss the padding of the mouse pad under the heel of your palm?

Or do you just hold your entire hand and arm up off the table with your shoulder muscles and get neck strain?

Or maybe you rarely touch the mouse and use keyboard shortcuts and scrolling etc?

I really am curious.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I have done away with mousepads since laser mouse trackers came into the market. The surface of my desk gives great reflectance and I have infinite area of movement.

I try to keep as much of my forearm on the desk. Usually, only the elbow hangs out.

I try to minimize mouse interaction as much as possible, usually using the tab key and shortkeys, but in modern Windows, eliminating the mouse is unrealistic. Still, it's a large overhead of time to switch between mouse and keyboard.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the info. :)

I don't have desk room for forearms.

I think a lot has to do with the way we operate computers? I'm very mouse-heavy since the bulk of my early PC experience was graphic arts and CAD type stuff. Hours of mouse use with an occasional buttonpress.

Even on a forum I would spend much more time moving the mouse than touching the KB.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In my case:

With Word / Excel lot of keyboard and with Corel Draw / pictures in Word / Acrobat to generate .pdfs / Outlook Express, lot of mouse.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hand just sits on desk with forarm. Works pretty good. Plus I'm pretty fond of basic shortcuts so I use them a lot when typeing or doing forms.