Dust sensor Design

Dumken

Joined Oct 7, 2014
Good day everyone. Can anyone Pls help me with an idea on how to design a dust sensor. Maybe using LDR or any other means.
Diagrams will be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Buy a smoke alarm. A good amount of dust will register in them.
Buy a HEPA10 filter and weight it before and after you blow a million cubic feet of air through it.
Buy an electronic air cleaner and listen for the, "snap" when it eats a dust bunny.
Sight across the land or sea to a known set of targets and decide which is the smallest you can still recognize.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The best "dust" detector I ever head about was for _really_ small particles in a clean room. The detector past the air being measured though an open cavity Laser.
In this use of an open cavity Laser, the air actually goes though the Laser beam between the mirrors. :eek:

Dumken

Joined Oct 7, 2014
Thank you guys. The intention of this is to design the sensor myself and not to use an already designed module. The sensor will monitor the dust on a flat surface like "Table"

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Thank you guys. The intention of this is to design the sensor myself and not to use an already designed module. The sensor will monitor the dust on a flat surface like "Table"
You need to determine what attributes can be used to differentiate between a dusty surface and a clean one. I imagine diffraction of reflected light would be higher for dusty surfaces, but you'd need base line (clean surface) diffraction values to compare against, and those would probably vary quite a lot for different surfaces.

If there were some more unique property of dust, that would be helpful. Does it tend to absorb non-visible light (IR or UV) significantly more or less than other materials? I certainly don't know, but I think you need to find that unique property of dust, if there is one, and then choose sensor(s) accordingly.