duct tape vs coil emp

iboman

Joined Aug 12, 2017
Sooo first post in here yeah....

So i wanted to make a emp but i have 2 questions i got a capacitor of an disposel camera but how im i gonna charge the capacitor up?
Im kinda noob i know im new to all of this...

The second question is if my coil have duct tape around it will the signals still go through?

Thanks until now.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The charging circuitry in the disposable camera is what most people use to change the capacitor.

Duct tape has little effect on electromagnetic fields, so the signal should go right through. Vinyl electrical tape would be better, especially in terms of standing off high voltage.

What is it that you want to pulse?

Please realize that such circuitry is dangerous to work with, especially for one who has not had supervised experience working with hundreds of volts. Consider whether you need this project and what safety measures you can take to keep from getting "pulsed" yourself.

Mark Hughes

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Hi @iboman
I'm glad that you've found an interest in electronics. But starting with a high voltage & destructive project isn't a great way to go about things. You will likely end up with a device that isn't going to do what you've seen in the movies, creates a safety hazard for yourself, and can potentially end with some uncomfortable questions in a police station for creating a destructive device.
Maybe try building a kit first -- https://www.vellemanusa.com/ makes some nice kits. And Arduino is always a good jumping off point for beginners: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1078
To the point of your second question. Yes, "signals" will still go through cloth duct tape. However, the uneven thickness caused by the fabric fiber and adhesive mixture produces an overly sticky surface with an unpredictable breakdown voltage and nonrepairable dielectric. (In other words, it is a poor choice).
One last thing -- please direct your questions towards the scientific inquiry (e.g. -- "Can radio waves travel through duct tape?" Or "What are safe practices for working with high voltage devices"), as any further questions asking how to build a destructive device will quickly end with a ban by the moderators.
Mark

Joined Nov 30, 2010
can potentially end with some uncomfortable questions in a police station for creating a destructive device.
I think there is a little too much, "worry wart" in that one. The power of a flash camera isn't going to take down any airplanes. In fact, it isn't going to take out your router. However, you are dancing on the edge of the rules of this site. If you talked about plugging this into a wall outlet you could do some real damage, and the Moderators would take out your Thread.:(

Maybe you should leave the capacitor in the camera and connect your coil to the flash terminals?

In my opinion, pulse away, but remember, hitting the floor will hurt as much as the shock, maybe more.:p