Drugs question?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Are you sure he wasn't talking about legal drugs? I'm currently on bloodpressure, anti-inflamatories, and a muscle relaxer. Theres lots of legal stuff that can and should be discussed. Such as side effects, results of meds, and the fact that 30% of all TV advertising is now for drug companies. Just food for though. For instance every one in my family has a side effect to Lunesta, feels like someone dumping talc powder in your mouth all night.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't think each one's medicinal schedule is to be discussed in a public thread where anyone can drop his 2c.

Think about it. Would you like a total stranger that knows nothing about you to council you about what medicine you will take or an asserted pharmacist or doctor?

Be careful people, the internet isn't the cure to all problems.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well what I've learned the past year is many docs and pharmacist are plain idiots. You'd be shocked how many people they kill by prescribing conflicting meds. Myaunt almost died about a year ago because of a reaction from one of her meds to anethesia during surgery. She couldn't walk for about 3 weeks. Were all using handles so I'm notworried about my medical issues being public. And I'm not saying take advice from someone instead of a doctor. But the doctors and pharmacist get their info from pamplets, the pdr, and pharma reps. So info from someone that actually takes that med is usually much more useful. I can't tell you howmany times I've gone to fill my prescription and the pharmacy says ok that will be $1242. Then I have to cancel it go back to my doctor and get a different medication that I can afford.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I'm not sure how it works in American English, but where I come from people normally only use the expression "do drugs" in the sense of recreational use. Someone might use such an expression jocularly when referring say to medication, perhaps in an informal discussion between friends, but to use it in opening a thread like this is at best ambiguous.

I may be wrong, but the original post on the thread referred to sounds suspiciously like a pretext designed to start an argument.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I would also add that anyone telling stories of their use of drugs, whether medically prescribed, illicit or otherwise on a public forum could be putting themselves in line for all kinds of trouble. This could apply even if the tales were pure works of fiction.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I am quite certain that the OP of the other thread was referring to the abuse of drugs, or use of illegal drugs.

I am *very* anti-drug. I don't even like to take prescribed medication unless I really *must* take it. Almost anything that a doctor can prescribe has SOME kind of side effect(s).

In the US, pharmaceutical companies make obscene amounts of income by charging absurd prices for medications. It's not that the cost for production of these medications is so high; it's the profit that they want to make.

For instance, if you have some prescription for a 10mg pill of something, you will most likely discover that a month's supply (say, 30 pills) of the same medication will cost nearly the same amount for 10mg, 20mg, 40mg, 80mg or 160mg pills. They're charging by the pill, not by the amount of medication in it.

Doctors are inundated by slick information pamphlets from pharmaceutical company representatives hawking the benefits of their latest & greatest offerings - because these are the meds that they make the most profit on.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Well what I've learned the past year is many docs and pharmacist are plain idiots. You'd be shocked how many people they kill by prescribing conflicting meds.
Maybe not idiots, but more like not really interested in solving your problem. Recent experiences. Result: I try to keep in shape and try not to go to the doctor.

In the US, pharmaceutical companies make obscene amounts of income by charging absurd prices for medications. It's not that the cost for production of these medications is so high; it's the profit that they want to make.
Not only in the US.
Obvious solution: A public health system that works for everybody and prohibition to make profit on basic needs/medication. This includes education too.
I would be willing to pay more if an everybody equally treating health system does cost more.

Btw, I'm against drugs too, people say it's an illness, for me it's more like a weakness!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
90 % of what the OP did on this forum recently was just bad camouflaged attempts to annoy us. And so was also his drug thread. He is banned now.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If I was a moderator, I probably would have closed the thread without even reading it. Whether the "drugs" he mentioned in the title were prescription or otherwise, it is inappropriate either way. No one wants to hear about your prescriptions, and the discussion of illegal substances is downright wrong. Either way, I think the mods did right in locking the thread.

Der Strom

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The killer is insurance. They pay so little for the drugs that the retailers charge much more. I'm a caretaker for a local cancer center so I know a lot about the medical mafia. If your or I walk into a pharmacy for say a 50mg pill of something. They will charge $10 per pill. If someone with insurance walks in. The insurance company pays $0.50 a pill. I see the receipts from medicare every month. Its just such a difference its not right.I can see insurance companies getting a break on price. But not near the break their given. Its getting so bad around her unless your at walgreens or CVS, you can't use insurance.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If I was a moderator, I probably would have closed the thread without even reading it. Whether the "drugs" he mentioned in the title were prescription or otherwise, it is inappropriate either way. No one wants to hear about your prescriptions, and the discussion of illegal substances is downright wrong. Either way, I think the mods did right in locking the thread.

Der Strom
I dissagree, I think our healthcare and medical prescriptions are something that should be talked about and discussed because 1 its full of so much fraud, 2 Many doctors and pharmacist don't know what their talking about, 3 There are loopholes and help to be had if you know how to get it. So I think discussing it is a good thing. I think everyone can agree our healthcare system is broken from the bottom to the top. In the end its the mods choice if the thread is too much and should be locked. I hope this discussion is within the boundries of what we can talk about.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
And Sarge, I used to be the same way. I wouldn't take an asprin till I got hurt. But when your living in constant agony you need to make a choice and it becomes a matter of trade offs. For instance I'm scared to take my BP meds. I'm borderline and have prehypertention. My bp fluxuates between 130/80 - 150/95. They prescribed me Norvasc. But in todays climate where they push drugs onto the market with little testing I'm actually scared to take it till I find someone else taking it and I can talk to them. Till then it will sit in my medicine cabinate till I can talk to someone about its effects, is it worth it, how long have they taken it, etc...Because as you said ALL DRUGS HAVE SIDE EFFECTS INCLUDING DEATH! Also if I see one more COPD commercial I'm gonna throw myself off a building. :) j/k

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Adjuster,

On this side of the pond, "do drugs" means the same on your side of the pond. If we were talking medicinal usage, it would be "take drugs" or a variation of those.

T06,

It was only a matter of time before puslie stepped too far over the line. I'm surprised he made it to double digit postings.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Medications should be discussed and there are many forums that are diagnosis specific. I myself am on anti-epileptics and have had to resort to reading through the forums to sort out which side-effects went with which medication simply because the doctor does not know, the meds related to nervious system have so many different effects that at one point basic reassurance that there are other people out there living through the same thing is a good thing. Of course high level of scrutiny has to be applied to all such information, but if anybody ever looked at studies done by the pharma when they put out something on the market, take a pick whom to trust....

But this is an electronics forum after all... my internal wiring is all wrong anyway :)

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Exactly but this is the off topic section and were all very similar and most likely have very similar health issues. So I feel its beneficial to be able to discuss this. Luckily this hasn't been locked so seems as though were doing it the right way.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Anyone read that article that said people get cancer at a higher rate when they sit for long periods of time. It was just release a day or two ago. People who sit most of the day at work or home are like 30% more likely to get some forms of cancer.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Max, if you knew this guy, you would have known that he was NOT talking about prescription drugs. Ever since his "cousin" was banned, he has been on here tormenting the members and moderators. This was just another thread to test their patience. IMHO he got what he deserved.

Der Strom

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Anyone read that article that said people get cancer at a higher rate when they sit for long periods of time. It was just release a day or two ago. People who sit most of the day at work or home are like 30% more likely to get some forms of cancer.
I've looked at the articles quoting the study but don't really have the time to read the study right now. A question I came up with is whether sleeping causes cancer, after all you are sedentary for at least 7-8 hours... This in conjunction with the recent announcement that drinking wine is once again bad for you. I wish all the money that went into these studies was going towards reducing pollution, removing pesticides, cleaning up emissions etc i.e. getting rid of the things that are actually causing cancer.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Science doesn't work like that. It is all linked, and the more information you have the more likely you are not to miss something important.