Drugs question?

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I agree, I just question the importance of this particular research. It is well known that sedentary life style is not healthy and that is the link that was made to cancer in the paper (which i cannot find), it is not difficult to make a conclusion that sitting for 8 hours straight, like most people are forced to do now, will not be good for you either. But what does this study do in terms of contributing to that elusive cure for cancer? All you will get is public that will soon stop ignoring all studies coming out because many contradict each other (refer to wine example - bad causes cancer, good for the heart, mammograms, prostate exams...) more needs to be done about the actual environmental causes of cancer rather than life style. Of course I am dreaming here...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the problems is that there are many cases we can not control what our lifestyle at work is.

The other is while we do control our home lives, we don't do the things we know we should. I say this sitting on my assets in front of the computer.

I always love watching the exercise machines advertised on TV. The talk about major ripped abs, what I hear is the ripping of my muscles as they tear free from my abdomen. Until they figure out how to activate the pleasure centers of the brain while exercising I suspect their core audience is masochists.

I took 14 years of martial arts for exercise. I could do this because I was learning a survival skill while sweating and hurting. Sweat seems to be one of my bodies natural defenses, no one wants to grapple with me during a major workout. When I first started class I gained about 10 pounds and lost several inches, going from 255 to 265. So much for loosing weight.

I quit because I went 3rd shift (10PM to 6:30AM). I do work that a watchmaker would have trouble with, and I can not do it with shaky hands. If I get a chance I'm getting back in.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
One thing that would make those TV ad exercise gimmicks more valuable is if the put more clothes hooks on them. :) Almost everyone I know (myself included) that buys one ends up using it as a clothes rack. So advertising how many hooks on them would be a selling point.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Pharmaceuticals is a HUGE market, no doubt about that, but you need to remember that for every ONE compound that has made it to the monkey stage, about 1,000 didn't get that far. After the test in monkey stage, only 1 in 100 finish the FDA testing.

So when they get one that "works"*, they advertise the heck out of it, and over the years change what is for. Example is Wellbutrin, started out as a medicine for bipolar, then depression under a new name, now ZyBan as an anti-smoking aid. Exact. Same. Drug. Same side effects, but the previous patients probably experienced the nightmares and crap anyway so they didn't seem odd.

*"Works" in this context means it has more than a 10% difference to a placebo. Not that it CURES/MASKS THE PROBLEM better than a placebo, only that patients are sure of an effect. From there, they try to make it fix as much as they can, while it is under the 7 year patent protection, so they can make the money off all of the failed research, advertising ,etc.

The base funding from pharma comes from the "oldies but goodies", pain meds, anxiety meds, etc. They are "generic" and cheap, and make up the top 10 prescribed drugs. That gives them the money to continue operations and some research.

When they get a working new drug, they milk it for all it is worth, almost like morphine and cocaine were in the late 1800s and early 1900s as a "Cure for all ills" snake oil.

I don't care if they make a lot of money, that's what they are in business for.

I Strongly Disagree with their methods of advertising the latest prescription only med in magazines, TV, web, etc, and "to ask your doctor if it is right for you". It is silly. They go at it from the other end as well, giving the doctors free samples to hand out and lots of little trinkets with their logo on it, some of them are rather expensive and nice "trinkets", too (Think "Sharper Image").

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'd like to put in my 2 cents...exercise doesn't have to hurt!

When I rode a bicycle to college, I never thought about body building, but my thighs got so muscular that I had trouble geting my blue jeans on...without gaining or losing a pound. (5' 9" and 165 pounds)
When I had to use crutches for several months, my upper body and arms got so big that some people were afraid of me! Again without a thought about body building, working for "the burn", or being sore after exercising, and still at 165 pounds.

So...I happily report that any normal person's body will adapt to its regular routine over several months, without any suffering, and I detest suffering.

You may now point out the exceptions.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There are no downsides to exercise within a person's physical limits. Ask your doctor about an exercise regimen*. :D

*Seriously, if over 40, talk to your doctor before going all out to get healthy. High blood pressure, cholesterol, etc can have negative health impact with intense aerobics. For everything but knee/hip problems, walking is typically a universally accepted healthy exercise, and doesn't require any expensive equipment. You WILL live longer if you walk a few miles 3 times or more a week.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I'd like to put in my 2 cents...exercise doesn't have to hurt!

When I rode a bicycle to college, I never thought about body building, but my thighs got so muscular that I had trouble geting my blue jeans on...without gaining or losing a pound. (5' 9" and 165 pounds)
When I had to use crutches for several months, my upper body and arms got so big that some people were afraid of me! Again without a thought about body building, working for "the burn", or being sore after exercising, and still at 165 pounds.

So...I happily report that any normal person's body will adapt to its regular routine over several months, without any suffering, and I detest suffering.

Agree. Active exercise actually hurts me - I get headaches from active aerobic (to make it proper) exercise I guess due to my own sets of health problems (and I'm young). But walking is for me a cure for all ills. I enjoy it and since I have to walk to school every day, my whole body has toned. Swimming is good too.

The Pharma... generics are the key. Continued research is needed - I am on med combination number 5 for my seizures and finally something is working, but it is a mix of an older drug with one of the newest ones. As a result I am the guinea pig. Incidentally the drugs for epilepsy are used for bipolar disorder as well. What is rediculous is that doctors are prescribing these medications to kids with ADHD - I am sorry, your lisence should be taken away for doing that. This is why you have to be a conscious patient and ask yourself why are you taking what you are taking.

I am not even going into the made up diseases or hormonal therapy BS...

or the medication shortage

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't enjoy excercise, but I do enjoy the immediate satisfaction from doing a job involving manual labor. My previous job entailed climbing towers (think 300ft+) several times per day with about 50lbs of tools strapped to my body. I went from a scrawny dude with a beer gut to someone you would assume works out regularly in just a couple of months. now I do nothing of the sort and my upper body has turned back into a midbody. I'm starting to feel the effects of being fat; decreased energy, easily winded, general not-good feeling. And I'm also less satisfied with my job. I know it's hard to fit into a lot of people's routines if you work in an office or a lab, but a little manual labor goes a long way, and feels good to do it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What is this guys..I am always missing the best part...c'mon
no, you c'mon, you're the one missing the point. :p
There is no point, really. this was a pointless resurrection of a pointless troll post by pointless troll who is now banned. it has trailed off into physical fitness & medications. now you are up to speed, enjoy:)

EDIT: I saw "part" but my mind saw "point"

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ha !! u are on drugs then....seeing things.

That is what I said..I never met the troll nor I have seen his trolley

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
must be a good flashback... I read a book by a neuropsychiatrist once, he wrote of patients with epilepsy who would not go on medication because when they had their seizures the experience was better then anything they ever had, why would they want to have that taken away and replaced by side-effects? It is all in our brain. Examples included - feeling of euphoria, being in the presence of God, hearing angelic music, seeing picture patterns (I look like that dog during a petite mal seizure, only I see nothing) etc... My bet is that this is where religion ultiately came from, hallucination or epileptic dervishes.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
sadly, no, i just black out. Was always upset about that. Don't see colors either, that is supposed to be very common. From what I gather, my seizures start and spread very quickly so they do not stimulate any area of the brain enough to provide me with any conscious sensations. I get an aura just before, feels like an infinite tunnel stretching before me, very strange, and then I am unconscious. I take "the tunnel" as a proof that universe is infinite ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What the heck is euphoria..

Oh wait..a carnival..we had an euphoria once. It was a great carnival where I get climb huge trees to decorate it with lights..Aaaaah! good times.