Drone Defender Project suggestion

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Maybe yes, maybe no. Only if you accept that a drone is an "aircraft" subject to FAA jurisdiction.
That's the big IF. You might be travelling around the U.S. Code to gather all the definitions and rules. Special Aircraft Jurisdiction (49 USC) and running to the Hague for "Convention for the Suppression of Unlawful Seizure of Aircraft" to ensure your OK.

I'm glad the Judge dropped the charges. However, if the U.S. Government is involved, they will wait for a "friendly" judge who is known to favor the other position to rule, setting up a long march to the U.S. Supreme Court.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
There are some specular photos. How many of them will be used by someone conducting surveillance? Once they are on the internet, the expectation of privacy drops greatly.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Couple of weeks ago a friend picked up a toy drone in the back yard where it landed under a bush apparently with low battery. It had a camera attached. It was expected that someone would be prowling the neighbourhood to find it but no one showed up.
He gave it to me and doing some research managed to obtain a controller, battery charger and card reader for the camera.
After charging the unit it worked quite well. Downloaded the video and photos from the camera. Very interesting! Video of drone flying around his(owners) backyard and inside his house taking vid of his wife in the buff coming out of the shower.
No idea where it came from or who owns it. Still no sign of anyone looking for it so now I have a toy drone to play with.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You could always post pictures of his wife around the neighborhood. Someone would surely step up to claim it then.

Then you could watch the newspaper to see who's getting a divorce.

172pilot

Joined Dec 27, 2013
Did you read the paper? Some of the MEMS sensors have mechanical resonances that can excited remotely with high level audio energy causing loss of control.
That make MUCH more sense than just blocking/overpowering the RF of a control signal.. All but the most basic (cheap) drones these days have failsafes to either hover or return home if the radio control signal is lost, but ALL of them depend on good inputs from things like accelerometers, gyroscopes, digital compasses, inertial modules, pressure sensors,and other such things to know it's orientation, speed, and direction in the air.. kill those signals, and there's no way even a skilled pilot could stop it from crashing since the pilot tells it WHAT to do, and the sensors tell it how to do it and how well it's doing.. I didn't know those type of sensors would be susceptible to RF or audio interference, but that certainly would be a better attack vector..

I am definitely partial to the Winchester 870 though.. :)

ronsoy2

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Why don't you people quit being so negative and go get you a drone? They are FUN as hell! I have several, one able to fly 5 miles away with full real time video. I can say honestly that I have never spied on ANYONE at all with the drones. If you get some experience with them you will see that the spying idea is really not that easy. You have to be close in, like under 100 feet, to see any detail. Also you have to hover or you don't really see anything for any length of time enough to tell what is going on. So if you see a drone simply passing overhead a few hundred feet up it is NOT spying on you any more than someone driving by in their car is. Reign in the paranoia, you simply are not that interesting to anyone!
On the ultrasonic beam shutting down the gyros, nada. It would take kilowatts to do it, if then. The sensors are shielded with many layers of interfering junk like plastic and tin that would de-focus and reflect the sound. The gyros are designed to operate fine in the high vibration environment of the drone motors with no problem at all. Your best bet would be your own "attack drone" to fly up with a dangling net and snare the intruding drone.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Your best bet would be your own "attack drone" to fly up with a dangling net and snare the intruding drone
That sounds like fun... welcome to The Drone Games...

Jokes aside, I think it's a pretty valid concern that these things are going to be used by people far less scrupulous than you, in ways in which the invasion of privacy will be the smallest of evils. That's why I too think it's important to either regulate them somehow (without killing the fun) or implant some sort of overriding technology that could allow for their legitimate downing/grounding.