Driver wiring diagram for ignition coil project?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
All of the stuff about correct mosfet to use and other things being talked about are moot, if the HEI module is used. It's all included in those modules.

But the more I think about the original post, I don't think a car coil will do what he wants. He is using a PWM signal, I'm assuming to make the spark longer or shorter time wise. A ignition coil can't do that. You can give it more or less "dwell time" but the spark from that time will always be the same length time wise.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
All of the stuff about correct mosfet to use and other things being talked about are moot, if the HEI module is used. It's all included in those modules.

But the more I think about the original post, I don't think a car coil will do what he wants. He is using a PWM signal, I'm assuming to make the spark longer or shorter time wise. A ignition coil can't do that. You can give it more or less "dwell time" but the spark from that time will always be the same length time wise.
I agree with that. The first post pretty much just shows the old automotive ignition coil we all came to know and love. That's why I ran with that.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The 6cyl ones I used had a base of electronics that the 3 coils sat on, I just wanted to take advantage of the size of using a single stand-alone coil.

1674858849599.png

bradrs

Joined Jan 23, 2023
The 6cyl ones I used had a base of electronics that the 3 coils sat on, I just wanted to take advantage of the size of using a single stand-alone coil.

View attachment 286245
That was used on the Grand National, right? It's a unique package, I don't recall anyone else making systems like that since those.

Would a CDI that multisparks provide a better trigger for his goal? There are the standard ones that multispark a 400-500V pulse every 1.1 milliseconds, give or take, work better? There's also an older analog CDI that rings made by Winterburn, and the 2nd or 3rd project on the link ReloadRon provided was for a very simple CDI that would ring some.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That was used on the Grand National, right? It's a unique package, I don't recall anyone else making systems like that since those.
Would a car of that age have waste spark system,?
There are quite a few modern autos that use a modular SS system like this.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So did you use any of the electronics in the base to power the coil? Those would have had the mosfe or maybe igbt drivers then just adding a timer to the correct terminal for that coil would have worked.