Draw power directly from solar pannel withoit battery

nimit

Joined Oct 29, 2012
Hello Everyone,
I am just curious aboutto know that is it possible to draw the power from solar pannel without using battery in inverter.
Here i am not talking about gried tie inverter. i want to connect a dc load to pannel. does it affecr or degrade pannel or is it harm for panel???

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I am just curious aboutto know that is it possible to draw the power from solar pannel without using battery in inverter.
Here i am not talking about gried tie inverter. i want to connect a dc load to pannel. does it affecr or degrade pannel or is it harm for panel???
You can connect a DC load to a panel but the amount of power (and current) you can extract from the panel will vary widely with the illumination/insolation of the panel and with the output voltage of the panel when under load. For best efficiency, operation at the MPPT (maximum power point) of that specific panel is needed. This involves adjusting the load to keep a specific panel output voltage and requires control circuitry. The datasheet for the panel usually has a graph of power output vs load voltage vs illumination and a graph of current output vs illumination. Note that a panel operates as a current source, not a voltage source. As the load resistance drops, the panel voltage (and thus power out = V*I) will drop even though the current remains (approx) constant. Normally such operation will not harm the panel provided the panel temperature remains within its specified limit.