DPDT Switch: Why won't this simple circuit work?

8bit

Joined Jun 9, 2017
Hello,

I am just trying to do a basic DPDT switch circuit. I have an LED attached to the one side, a resistor in the middle connected to vdd, and another LED attached to the other side. Below is a picture when the switch is pushed.

Here is when the button is not pressed

Shouldn't the front most LED be lit in the above picture?

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is the pinout of the switch? There's no way to tell looking at the picture.

You seem to be assuming that the center pin is the common for one of the poles and the two next to it are the two throws. That's likely, but not guaranteed to be the case. Have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

Are you sure you have the bottom LED oriented correctly?

Are you sure the bottom LED is good?

8bit

Joined Jun 9, 2017
Thank you so much. It seems the top pin is the common pin for the two throws! I just assumed the middle was the common one.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Since I can't see the pins, I'm going to take a guess. Does the switch have 4 pins? Is there one on each corner? If so, you have an SPST.

Ken

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since I can't see the pins, I'm going to take a guess. Does the switch have 4 pins? Is there one on each corner? If so, you have an SPST.

Ken
It's 6 pins. The TS originally thought the center pin on each side was the common, but it's actually one of the corner pins.