Doorbell camera or regular security camera?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would like to add some security to my house. At first I was thinking about one of those doorbell cameras. But I really don't have a need to answer the doorbell remotely.

I was thinking of more of a dedicated security camera system. That way I could cover both the front and back of the house.

Any thoughts on which to get? Doorbell version or just a regular security camera?

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
We have a Ring doorbell and find it useful. It is set up for motion capture and we subscribe ($30/yr) to cloud recording. We have used the remote talk feature many times to visit with folks at the door, even when out of the country. Even when home, we'll pull up the live view to see who is at the door. Living in inner Houston, this is a plus. So, I'd recommend one but check reviews. We have a ver. 1 Ring and it's slow to connect and motion detection is spotty. Newer ones are better I am told.
We're building a new house and I expect to install perimeter cams along with the standard Nest doorbell/cam. Add motion lights and a 1911 in the safe and you should be good to go.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I use AIPHONE products for the actual doorbell (with electronic strike button) and house intercom. It's pricey but built to last just about forever and used existing doorbell wiring.
https://www.aiphone.com/home/products/lem-1dl-lem-1dlc

I use a dedicated security system (Linux with zoneminder for the IP cameras 8 total) with a camera just for the door bell area.
Movement and event triggers using Zoneminder.
You see what two weeks away from home can do the yard in Oregon.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I have ring also and recommend it.
Motion detect works great and the two-way audio is very useful. Especially for package deliveries. Each cam (except doorbell) are powered by a solar panel. If you get the battery operated ring cam definitely get the solar panels...the battery doesn’t last very long without it..each cam takes about 30 minutes to install..

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have ring also and recommend it.
Motion detect works great and the two-way audio is very useful. Especially for package deliveries. Each cam (except doorbell) are powered by a solar panel. If you get the battery operated ring cam definitely get the solar panels...the battery doesn’t last very long without it..each cam takes about 30 minutes to install..

I would need to get creative with the solar panels. The cameras would be mounted under the porch roof and I would need to mount the panels on top.

So you can ad on the the doorbell cam with additional cams?

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Get a gun. Might have to clean the crap off your lawn from where they $h*t on their selves running but they won't be back.
Cameras only show them in the act....Guns stop the act.
Brzrkr

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
narkeleptk said:
I take it when your not home the neighbors dog can give an accurate description of tresspasser as well?
Not sure but he will take a big hunk outta somebody's rear end even on my land
But next time he comes over I will ask.
Brzrkr

edit: Went outside and he said just look for the guy with the big hole in his A$$ at the hospital.
Basically what I said.... So yes
Brzrkr

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I would need to get creative with the solar panels. The cameras would be mounted under the porch roof and I would need to mount the panels on top.

So you can ad on the the doorbell cam with additional cams?
Yes..you can add additional cams.
Ring sells an optional small solar panel for each cam. Very simple and easy to install. I have one for each cam..

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
We are using Arlo cameras as a stop gap until I can get around to the non-trivial job of putting in proper wired cameras. The do work, though I wouldn’t say they are trouble free. They depend on their own AP, so it has to be located centrally to the cameras. It’s not possible to use an extender.

The image quality is good and the 2nd gen cameras using rechargeable batteries. There is a free tier to the cloud service which I think is limited to 5 cameras.

Overall, it’s been good for what it is, and they continuously improve the motion detection/image recognition features. It will distinguish between a person, a package, and an animal pretty reliably.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
eetech00 said:
Yeah...but a camera doesn’t kill if it accidentally shoots someone..;)
I'm 58 and never had a gun I own or had in my hands "accidentally" go off. Been around and shooting guns since I was 5!
I agree stupid people shouldn't own guns.
Brzrkr

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Just asking, you don't have to have a cloud account with the ring do you ?
And you can set it up to record to your computer only right ?
Brzrkr

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Just asking, you don't have to have a cloud account with the ring do you ?
And you can set it up to record to your computer only right ?
Brzrkr
No....but you do to record video.
Once recorded, you can download to computer..

The cams also have IR for night viewing.
Video is 1080P. WIFI is WPA2 security.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
IMO (most 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connections are easily compromised) for a long-term private installation like home security wired CAT6 is the more secure option. Ring has a POE version but it's not cheap.
https://shop.ring.com/products/video-doorbell-elite

Here is a unit that's open (usable with Zoneminder with POE)

:):rolleyes::eek:
Yes...hardwire would be more secure but if that concerned, fiber would be best..;)

But any kind of hardwiring of this stuff is gonna be a PITA...

None of Ring cams are cheap..199-250 USD each but worth it to me..

My cams are on a mesh network..