Dolphin needs assistance.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I wouldn't accuse you of being human, but I would like to stay on the topic of people helping animals when they need help instead of trying to drag the conversation into how humans are like cancer on the planet.
I didn't say humans ARE a cancer, I said that some humans think they are a cancer and also behave like they are.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
After watching the dolphin video I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and watched a few of the related videos of animals helping other animals. The intuition to help other species does seem to be built into mammals, to promote life when not feeding.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
After watching the dolphin video I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and watched a few of the related videos of animals helping other animals. The intuition to help other species does seem to be built into mammals, to promote life when not feeding.
Did you watch the Nova video on animals befriending other animals?
The strangest one was a Goat that befriended a blind horse, he led the horse back to the stable every night without stopping to forage as he normally would, just keeping a few feet in front of the horse.
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While slightly off topic I thought this piece of animal humor funny. Something I saw on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/videos/2666710763376097/
Not a very bright dog. Most dogs would quickly learn to face the bird. But, hey, dachshund -- enough said.

When was very young (~4 yrs old) we had a chow-mix dog and a parakeet that were best buds. The parakeet would ride on top of the dog's head all round the house. But the bird was ornery, too. When the dog was trying to sleep the bird would go up to one of it's feet and peck between the toes, which would make the dog pull that foot up underneath himself (often without waking up). So the bird would hop over to another foot and repeat. Sure enough, soon the dog would have all four feet tucked up underneath him. At which point the bird would go up and tuck himself under one of the dogs ears and then just cozy up until the dog woke up. One time he pecked at the dog's ears, but given how violently a dog shakes its head when its ears are tickled, it was a mistake the bird only made once.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
And yet another example..... :cool:

A giant manta ray was recorded appearing to seek help from a snorkeler in Australia to remove metal hooks from her face.
Stunning footage showed the 10-foot sea creature attempt to get the attention of the snorkeling instructor, Jake Wilton, in Ningaloo Coast reef near Western Australia, NBC News reported on Friday.
The manta ray, which is known by locals as Freckles, had large fishing hooks lodged close to her right eye.
“It’s very rare for an animal to turn and come back over to you and present themselves,” Wilton told NBC News. “So I knew as soon as she started to interact with us, it was something very special.”
Wilton said he quickly realized that the sea creature was in need of help — and removed the hooks.

Max.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I am an old fisherman. Quite often offshore we are visited by bottlenose dolphins and they are often seen nearshore. I can't even begin to count the number of fish, sharks, rays that I have hooked. I have never even heard of a bottlenose taking a baited hook. They will come to the boat and breach to blow and jump out of the water as if showing off and have even had them slapping the water with their tail when leaving as if telling us goodbye.