Does prayer really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Yes, and we used them to formulate our ideas around evolution. That is what the study of them indicates and that is what we learned.

Do you think if there was a 'God' he would be inane enough to create everything independantly or would he create a very clever mechanism that could generate all different forms of life, like evolution.

Nevermind, now I am arguing that evolution implies a 'God'...:p
Some people believe in God-guided evolution (or god(s)-guided evolution), this is not so much in conflict with science.

Otaku

Joined Nov 19, 2008
Some people believe in God-guided evolution (or god(s)-guided evolution), this is not so much in conflict with science.
I haven't found any argument in favor of Intelligent Design that holds water. Most religious people I've met are pretty rigid - "God said it, I believe it, that settles it." You know the type.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I haven't found any argument in favor of Intelligent Design that holds water. Most religious people I've met are pretty rigid - "God said it, I believe it, that settles it." You know the type.
Question...which god, who said what to who & when. :D

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Question...which god, who said what to who & when. :D
"God" -> Jew/Christian/Muslim god
"god" -> any supernatural being as we see fit

I think it's something like 30% of Americans believe in "God"-guided evolution.

It still conflicts with the scientific method in that there is no way to prove or disprove (in this case disprove as that is what science does) the existence of any supernatural being which hides its own identity.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
No, I don't know to what you are referring. Maybe you can explain it. Or, is this the typical adolescent argument that goes, "you know, you know."

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
"God" -> Jew/Christian/Muslim god
"god" -> any supernatural being as we see fit

I think it's something like 30% of Americans believe in "God"-guided evolution.

It still conflicts with the scientific method in that there is no way to prove or disprove (in this case disprove as that is what science does) the existence of any supernatural being which hides its own identity.
Please give a recognized authority for those definitions. Or, are they just something you made up for the moment?

John

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK for one.. I do not differentiate "God" from "god". To me he is only one.

God is not a supernatural being. God is a not being at all. we cannot imagine what god looks like, we cannot stand the mere sight of him for we will perish by just looking at him if this is even possible for us humans.
Supernatural are the other species tht was created before us.
Science is a word someone invented. Do u know who invented the word science. So actually science holds no true meaning to prove anything. It is only what we were taught to believe in and use for our everyday life.
You cannot justify tht God is not there just because science cannot prove it.
What kind of arrogance is tht?

Still no one had answered me this ...Are we created by chance.
or better yet answer me this....

Why finger print is unique for each human. Is it by chance or is it proven by science tht it just evolved tht way.

This just a simplest example of God's work. No one can do this. Even the twins have different prints. U can say and prove a lot of things why twins are twins, but can u explain why the finger print is not the same.

God do not need to show his existence. for he has already shown us what he is capable of and he has shown us the way to live.

Why do an atheist is an atheist. Who can explain me this. We have them here, don't we. I believe there are more than one atheist in AAC.
And I am happy to be amongst them, cause for then I can fulfill one of my purpose in life.

As before, I Truly congratulate all the atheist. Believe me I am not mocking or joking. I am dead serious

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@Mark77
Thanks for adding some data. I am a little surprised, but not by much, that 80% of the anonymous respondents (?) attribute some role to God.

John

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Please give a recognized authority for those definitions. Or, are they just something you made up for the moment?

John
John, no one has taken up my request to follow a little rigor and come up with a common frame of reference for the term 'human'. Without it, without any common frame of reference at all, why are you even asking a question like this? As far as I am concerned, if no one wants a little rigor, then just rant. Anything goes. Or are you just being obtuse?

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
On the news tonight: "Another woman sentenced to death by stoning in Iran for alleged adultery. The sentence was handed down by the ruling 'religious authority'."

Apparently she claimed rape, but as there was no other woman to witness the rape and corroberate her testimony, the aduletry charge stood.

Sounds like once a woman is accused of adultery there is no way out.

There have been over 450 stonings of women for the crime of adultery in Iran so far this year.

There have been no men executed by any means for adultery in Iran so far this year.

Sorry, but I thought it took 2 people to commit adultery, no? Apparently not according to the ruling religious authority in Iran.

Also, how does this fit with "Thou shall not kill"?

All, God's good work, no doubt.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
According to Leviticus 19:19 I should be put to death for growing corn, tomatoes, cucumber and peas in my back garden.

But then again, I should have been dispatched a long time ago for wearing my cotton/polyester underwear as a kid.

I wonder, does this sound even slightly reasonable? I'd be willing to bet, according to this one chapter (19) nd paragraph (19) more than 90% of Jews, Muslims and Christians should be rounded up and denied oxygen.

It goes on and on. If you are not keen on the Bible (old or new) or Torah, I can quote the Quran. They are all full of contradiction and contain a considerable amount of irrelevance.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
To address the OP's initial question, prayers work for those that believe they do. Facts need not be given consideration.

Unles someone that can debate properly requests otherwise, I'm out of this.

Bon Chance!

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
OK for one.. I do not differentiate "God" from "god". To me he is only one.
Yes, but "god" refers to any god, regardless of the existance or nonexistance in your or my opinion.

God is not a supernatural being. God is a not being at all. we cannot imagine what god looks like, we cannot stand the mere sight of him for we will perish by just looking at him if this is even possible for us humans.
So you are saying you cannot observe God. That would mean it is impossible to prove or disprove existance.

Supernatural are the other species tht was created before us.
What? :confused: Supernatural means what it does - anything that is beyond (super) normal natural things. By definition, any god which cannot be observed would be supernatural.

Science is a word someone invented. Do u know who invented the word science. So actually science holds no true meaning to prove anything. It is only what we were taught to believe in and use for our everyday life.
Science is everything. You are using it, I am using it. It is all around us. For example, life expectancy due to modern medicine. Thank science for that. The computer I'm using. Etcetera, etcetera.

Wikipedia: Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is an enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the natural world.

So the word comes from Latin, and probably has deeper roots.

You misunderstand the scientific method. Science proves nothing, it only offers a method of understanding the natural world through systematic experimentation, slowly gathering knowledge.

You cannot justify tht God is not there just because science cannot prove it.
What kind of arrogance is tht?
Let me reword this for you: "You cannot justify that it (a giant pink elephant in the sky) is not there just because science cannot prove it."

Still no one had answered me this ...Are we created by chance.
Evolution is not chance. Sure, mutations are chance but they are selected by the environment. Abiogenesis may well have been chance. However, it took about 9 billion years for life to arrive (in basic single cell form, not being very complex) in this universe. If you played the lottery on every week of those days with a 13 million to one chance (approximately the chance of winning the National Lottery in the UK and one of the reasons I don't play it) you'd win the jackpot 36,000 times.

or better yet answer me this....

Why finger print is unique for each human. Is it by chance or is it proven by science tht it just evolved tht way. This just a simplest example of God's work. No one can do this. Even the twins have different prints. U can say and prove a lot of things why twins are twins, but can u explain why the finger print is not the same.
First of all, fingerprints aren't unique to humans. Many animals have them, including primates, our ancestors. Fingerprints are made unique due to the different conditions we grow up in. For example, why don't all our hairs grow exactly the same as others? You would not try to claim that the apparently unique arrangement of everyone's hair is God's work, it is merely the different environments in which we grow up in.

God do not need to show his existence. for he has already shown us what he is capable of and he has shown us the way to live.
Okay, but I haven't seen anything which can directly be attributed to God so far. You've given poor, inconsistent examples.

Why do an atheist is an atheist. Who can explain me this. We have them here, don't we. I believe there are more than one atheist in AAC.
And I am happy to be amongst them, cause for then I can fulfill one of my purpose in life.

As before, I Truly congratulate all the atheist. Believe me I am not mocking or joking. I am dead serious
Why do you not ask them yourself? Personally, I see no real reason to believe in a God, as I have not received convincing evidence.

Thanks for the congratulations, it's nice to be free of religion. I used to be somewhat religious a few years ago, but then I took a step back and realised my position was fallacious, since science had the best answers, not religion.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
See if you are saying that on your death-bed. ;)
Uh... why would I change my mind?

I mean, sure, there could be a "God", but then there are thousands of other "gods", some of which would punish me for believing in other gods, do you see the problem, you can't win? And any omnipotent god would see my conversion as not a serious one, and would probably disregard such anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.