Does gyroscope requires calibration? (MPU 6050)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Depends on the specific gyroscope and that holds true for if calibration is needed as well as the procedure and method. I have seen procedures depending on the uC used, for example an Arduino with a 3 axis accelerometer. The data sheet describes the outputs so use a precise tilt and measure the outputs.
Ron

Last edited:

ckkkk

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Hi Ron,
The one i am using is the MPU6050 gyroscope also are there any manual way to do the calibration?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi Ron,
The one i am using is the MPU6050 gyroscope also are there any manual way to do the calibration?
Yeah, I see where the part number is there so I edited my post.
Using the data sheet we know the outputs so with that in mind what are you interfacing with? Do you have a uC (processor) out there reading the serial data?

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, I have not experimented with the Raspberry Pi 3 or languages like Swift or Python but as to calibration my guess is you need to start with a flat surface, best measured with a bubble. Then you need a way to do precision tilts. Looking at this code example I see where the code allows offsets.

Code:
device.AccelOffsetX = aX
   device.AccelOffsetY = aY
   device.AccelOffsetZ = aZ
   device.GyroOffsetX = gX
   device.GyroOffsetY = gY
   device.GyroOffsetZ = gZ
While I am not sure how the offsets will figure into calibration. Hopefully we will get a member familiar with this because it is way outside my knowledge base. :) The Gyro offsets would be our target. Here is another example and while the code sample is not Python again you will see the use of Offset:

Code:
accelgyro.setXAccelOffset(0);
  accelgyro.setYAccelOffset(0);
  accelgyro.setZAccelOffset(0);
  accelgyro.setXGyroOffset(0);
  accelgyro.setYGyroOffset(0);
  accelgyro.setZGyroOffset(0);
}
Now we can hope another member comes along experienced with the Pi and code. :) One of these days I need to get a Pi and get familiar with it.

Ron

ckkkk

Joined Apr 17, 2019
Hi Ron,
Right, our main focus here would be the gyro offsets and this is also out of my knowledge base. Therefore, i am seeking help from the experts. :(:(