does current go down the central wire here

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015

Now this diagram, im not sure what will happen when measuring the centre with a multimetre.

It looks to me, im quite convinced - although ive done very little experimentation - the current will be going two ways in the centre, and I will get a phased out volts of 0 here, if the batteries are equal.

Is this correct?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If the center wire is a single wire than no current can flow through it (assuming neither of the batteries are connected to anything else).

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Your drawing is not complete.
Between wich points are the batteries connected?
The can be on each side or accross the middle wire.

Bertus

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
theres a terminal at each polarity sign.

would it be 8 volts across the centre, with 1 volt one side and 9 volts the other?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
theres a terminal at each polarity sign.

would it be 8 volts across the centre, with 1 volt one side and 9 volts the other?
Only if the two minus terminals of the power supply are connected together.

If the two batteries are floating like you show, then there will be no voltage across the center, since there is no complete path for the current to flow.

Repeat after me: "Current has to have a complete closed path to flow".

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
if you guys dont want to help me, i guess ill to find out myself.
What a novel idea!

There's an enormous amount of material out there teaching the basics of electricity so why do you expect that someone should repeat this information and write a tutorial especially for you?

Even when the reason why no current flows has been explained, you lack the basic grounding to enable you to understand the answer.

Last edited:

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
yes, its 6:00 am here, im going next door as soon as hes up and having his coffee -hes got a multimetre there and ill go cross my fingers - if this works, i wont disclose my feelings for my fellow man. :)

just need to get the remote, ive got a couple of half chewed 2 cm wires ill split up into a little x pattern - im not sure if ill be able to reach the terminals of the batteries tho... two different voltage sources, thats going to be a problem.

This classy little boy has done 2 experiments to now. 1 - lifting metal bars with this tiny little magnet - went well. 2- getting a solenoid relay to work. (sucked in either way, flipped battery or not flipped.) demonstrated it turned into a temporary magnet after enough charge.

so now 3 - can i phase out dc with dc down a connecting wire?

ive done tonnes of theory tho, and you guys wont even tell me something simple for some reason i dont understand.

Last edited:

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
Damn! it didnt work, i just got double volts in the middle, i thought since it was going to negative to positive in 2 different directions it was going to phase out... oh well i guess back to the drawing board.

damn... i feel like a loser... I got to cheer up, maybe one day ill work out how to make this computer idea work...

Gave me a good idea for a nasty monster for an alien movie tho! :)

you thought it was one of your turds! THEN IT WAS TOO LATE!!!

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
you realize if this works i have a componentless relay - right?
Wrong. Your drawing does not have any components on it - no batteries, resistors, relays, coils - nothing but a single conductor that branches out at each end. Look at you drawing and think - does it really have enough information on it to form the basis of any kind of question?

This site has been cranking out help for amateurs for at least 10 years, but you've got to row your side of the boat. Garbage in - garbage out.

ak

ranch vermin

Joined May 20, 2015
if you can just toy with the idea which i mentioned already, that im trying to turn dc OFF with dc in the inverse polarity.

might work, not might work. if it works ive made a not gate, because i turned current off by adding current.

I know it seems so hard to believe im breaking as many rules as possible to make sure i am the best in the most childish way possible, just to make mario roll in his grave and terminally!!! about how ignorant he was! :)

hell be so pissed off hell hang himself. hopefully, then i did a very good job of it!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A componentless amplifier? Cool.
I think his wire was too thick. Too much room for the electrons to pass each other and just cancel everything out as measured on a volt meter - <s> I bet if he uses a thin enough wire! he can get the relay effect when he connects the second battery. </s>

What do you thin Joeyd?