Does anyone know what this tool is?

markHof

Joined May 13, 2021
I began a new job working for bitcoin mining machine repair, and I have control over what tools will be purchased.

A previous employee that is no longer with the company compiled a list, and on there is a tool that looks like this:
1620918225510.png

What might this tool do? Does it scrape a chip through a stencil?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
A previous employee that is no longer with the company compiled a list, and on there is a tool that looks like this:
hi,
How did the late employee describe this device on his compiled list.??

E

markHof

Joined May 13, 2021
Looks like a solder paste stencil and the spatula to spread the paste. Does his list include other surface mount soldering tools such as a hot air rework system or the like?
Yes it does - but would I need to solder SMD stuff onto an ASIC chip? I thought they were all contained inside.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I'd go with lo_volts comment,

The chip goes into the hole in the black unit on the left
"pads" to solder upwards,

Then the silver with the small hole sin is placed over top, it should have a very tight registration so it can't move.

Now the next bit, has a few ways to go

You either spread paste over the top, using the spatula to smooth, the holes ensure a measured amount of solder paste is in place.
rather like screen printing if you have ever done that.

Alternatively, it could be a re baller, in which solder balls are attached to the chip.
I've never done that myself, but get experts to do that.

Either way, you need to know what type of paste / balls to use, you can't use any off the shelf stuff ,
Its also very specific to that chip, so not much use to any one else.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Yes it does - but would I need to solder SMD stuff onto an ASIC chip? I thought they were all contained inside.
If you intend to repair PC boards at that level, I'd suggest you start studying re-work techniques.

I've never seen anyone re-ball an IC, but andrewmm's explanation makes sense. A ball-grid array package chip comes from the manufacturer with solder already in place. For re-work/repair of such chips, you'd have to clean the solder off of both the circuit board and the chip. Once cleaned you would re-ball the chip before placing it on the board and reflowing it in an oven.

Looking at the stencil, you can see that it holds a specific size chip and the registration pins and holes on the two parts allow for precise alignment while replacing the paste.

Wikipedia has a pretty good short explanation of ball-grid array IC's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It didn't occur to me that it was to be used with the items shown above it.

I agree with it being a spatula used to spread solder paste.