Does anyone know what these triac codes mean.?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
No triac manufacturer would ever use a part code that would be so readily confused with a linear regulator
Also, it’s very rare to find low voltage electrolytics in the vicinity of triacs; and, as triacs generally switch mains voltage, pcb track clearances would be very much greater if they were triacs.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
the spurious numbers are probably date codes.
There are no different versions of 78 series regulators that are incompatible with other versions.
They are cheap, and available everywhere.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Note the 7805 (+5 Vdc) regulator next to the 7915. I think this confirms that they are linear regulators, not TRIACs.

To the TS: Why do you think these components are TRIACs?

ak

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I worked for a small company with a production line, which made a lot of lighting controllers, and I had to learn their terminology:
Anything in a TO220 package was a "triac". Anything in TO218 was a "big triac". Transistors were devices in TO92 packages. Then there were "black diodes" (mainly 1N4004) and "glass diodes" (1N4148), and we always bought SGS-Thomson zeners, simply because they were blue.
It led to all sorts of weird questions: "I need a triac" "What sort of triac?" "A 7805".

jon mester

Joined Apr 9, 2022
Wow lots of help, thank you very much, but what im getting from this is one is negative and one is positive,7815 7915 but if I were trying to replace these, for example if I was on ebay what would i type in

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Wow lots of help, thank you very much, but what im getting from this is one is negative and one is positive,7815 7915 but if I were trying to replace these, for example if I was on ebay what would i type in
Don't buy parts from eBay unless you enjoy being scammed.

Last edited: