Does anyone here know much about cars?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello everyone.

I was on my way home from work yesterday in my 1984 BMW 325e, and I was about to turn onto a side road. I had to stop to let a few cars pass, but then as I put on the gas and let out the clutch, the car just revved--it acted like the clutch was still pushed all the way in.

The first suggestion I got was that I was leaking clutch fluid, which would explain the trail of an oily substance behind my car. But then I was told that no fluid would mean that the clutch would be unable to disengage the transmission, which was not the problem I was having. My problem was the other way around--it would not engage the transmission.
Then someone suggested that my master clutch cylinder may be stuck in, but I wanted to ask for other opinions. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened, and how to fix it?
Thanks.
Der Strom

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I fixed one that acted like yours. A retaining pin had worn through and the clutch plate was at an angle. Stuck in "not going".

The only cure for that one is to open it up and look. That means take the transmission off and look at the clutch.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The bad clutch plate retainer that I fixed did not cause any fluid leak...but then...that car didn't have a hydraulic clutch system.

If you can see a trail of clutch fluid, the hydraulic system is a better place to look.

orbiter

Joined Jun 17, 2010
It could be many things really. If you've had a trail of fluid underneath the car it sounds like either the clutch master, or slave cylinder are leaking. It could also be something as simple a bleed nipple come loose, or a punctured high pressure hydraulic pipe, however that doesn't happen very often.

You really need take it to a garage though to get it checked out. Even if it's just the clutch reservoir that needs topping up it's needs checking, because it's a sealed system once it's set up properly and topping it up is no good if it's leaking out somewhere.

Are you sure the fluid was from you're car or could that have been from somebody else? The reason I ask is that perhaps it's just the clutch itself that has failed on you, or the release bearing has collapsed etc.

Sometimes you don't always get a good few hundred miles 'clutch slip' as the pressure plate wears down, It just fails.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You really need take it to a garage though to get it checked out. Even if it's just the clutch reservoir that needs topping up it's needs checking, because it's a sealed system once it's set up properly and topping it up is no good if it's leaking out somewhere.

Are you sure the fluid was from you're car or could that have been from somebody else? The reason I ask is that perhaps it's just the clutch itself that has failed on you, or the release bearing has collapsed etc.
It is at the garage now, and I will be talking to the guy in about 15 minutes to see if he knows what is wrong. When I looked for the clutch fluid reservoir, it was not where the manual said it would be. It was supposedly right next to the brake fluid reservoir, but it was not there. So either the manual was wrong or it fell off :p

The fluid was almost definitely from my car. Wherever it was stopped there was a puddle, and there were streaks along between puddles (where I had pushed my car to the side of the road).
I'll let you know what the mechanic says. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Well, I thought I'd resurrect this old thread to let you guys know what's going on....

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to getting my car up in the air and replacing the slave cylinder. While I was at it, I managed to break the metal hose connecting it to the brake fluid reservoir. I ordered a replacement and got it within about 2 days--another $39 down the drain, but it was worth it. I'll be getting that in tomorrow. Anyway, as I was replacing the slave cylinder, I looked towards the back of the car and noticed something that made me want to hit my head repeatedly on some thing hard. I noticed that the CV axle was entirely disconnected. That meant that the power from the engine wasn't even getting back to the drive wheels. That was my problem all along. I called the guy who did the work on my rear brakes recently, and he told me that he had to disconnect it in order to get where he needed to be. Apparently, when he put it back in, he didn't use the proper tools and didn't tighten the bolts completely. They must have backed out a while later, which would explain why it took a while for the car to "break down". The bolts seem to still be there, so that'll be a 15 minute fix.

Anyway, that's where the whole thing stands at the moment. Just wanted to give an update, in case you're still interested.

Thanks again for all the help!

Regards,
Der Strom

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
DOH! SMH. Good thing you decided to DIY; if you had taken it back to the shop, chances are, the guy would have caught his mistake, fixed it, and then charged you for a master cylinder + labor.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
DOH! SMH. Good thing you decided to DIY; if you had taken it back to the shop, chances are, the guy would have caught his mistake, fixed it, and then charged you for a master cylinder + labor.
Well, thankfully the guy who did my brakes didn't charge me--he's a friend of a friend, so he did the labor for free. I just know now to never let him work on MY car again....

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Car repairs can be so difficult! My back door neighbor inherited an auto repair business from his father. I had him do an engine rebuild and he removed all the required smog equipment and threw it away.

One of my friends took his car to get a dead battery problem fixed. After 4 new batteries and 4 new alternators he called me. I found the door lock solenoid stuck "on" and had it fixed in 35 minutes.

This kind of thread can number in the thousands of posts if everybody gets in on it. One of the things I'd like to say is that they don't just cheat whatever fashionably downtrodden minority you might be. They cheat us white men just the same as everybody else.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I called the guy who did the work on my rear brakes recently, and he told me that he had to disconnect it in order to get where he needed to be. Apparently, when he put it back in, he didn't use the proper tools and didn't tighten the bolts completely.
Many BMW's has cramped engine compartments. But this is horrible to work with.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, but these were the rear brakes, and the CV axle. There was more than enough room to tighten everything properly, if you ask me. I don't plan to ever take my car back to him, anyway.

This one here is identical to mine:

I would understand if it was the front brakes or something on the engine. But in this case, it was just pure stupidity :rolleyes:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Spring cleaning under the hood, t06afre?

I had an Opel Commodore with a 6 cylinder engine in it, with a Zenith or something carberator. No, I think it was a Weber. One day I though that it would be a good idea to change the top gasket. So I started to disassemble the hole thing. I kept at it for a few evenings and nights. In the end I had the top off, and brought it inside, to the kitchen. Suddenly the kitchen was an engine workshop. I cleaned and rinsed the top, before assembling it. I remember that I was i bit nervous when I should start it for the first time. Did I get lucky with the chain connecting the pistons axle with the axle working the valves....?

Yes, I was. I didn't kill that car. Rust did. :(

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Spring cleaning under the hood, t06afre?

I had an Opel Commodore with a 6 cylinder engine in it, with a Zenith or something carberator. No, I think it was a Weber. One day I though that it would be a good idea to change the top gasket. So I started to disassemble the hole thing. I kept at it for a few evenings and nights. In the end I had the top off, and brought it inside, to the kitchen. Suddenly the kitchen was an engine workshop. I cleaned and rinsed the top, before assembling it. I remember that I was i bit nervous when I should start it for the first time. Did I get lucky with the chain connecting the pistons axle with the axle working the valves....?

Yes, I was. I didn't kill that car. Rust did. :(
Yes it was spring clean done today. Using only a sponge and a garden hose on high spread. High pressure washer is a no-no. It will drive moist deep inside the connectors :eek:. But when using low pressure water. You can just start the engine. And let it running some time. The heat will drive any water.
By the way if you count the intake manifolds. You will see why I fell in love with this car. Back in 1989 it was the the definitive 4 door autobahn cruiser. Now it is more or less retired. But it can still demand some respect and show some claws. Then the young hot hatchbacks starts to get to nippy trying to bully it

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well, I thought I'd resurrect this old thread to let you guys know what's going on....

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to getting my car up in the air and replacing the slave cylinder. While I was at it, I managed to break the metal hose connecting it to the brake fluid reservoir. I ordered a replacement and got it within about 2 days--another $39 down the drain, but it was worth it. I'll be getting that in tomorrow. Anyway, as I was replacing the slave cylinder, I looked towards the back of the car and noticed something that made me want to hit my head repeatedly on some thing hard. I noticed that the CV axle was entirely disconnected. That meant that the power from the engine wasn't even getting back to the drive wheels. That was my problem all along. I called the guy who did the work on my rear brakes recently, and he told me that he had to disconnect it in order to get where he needed to be. Apparently, when he put it back in, he didn't use the proper tools and didn't tighten the bolts completely. They must have backed out a while later, which would explain why it took a while for the car to "break down". The bolts seem to still be there, so that'll be a 15 minute fix.

Anyway, that's where the whole thing stands at the moment. Just wanted to give an update, in case you're still interested.

Thanks again for all the help!

Regards,
Der Strom
Dope! Someone forgot to use automotive locktight!!! Rookie mistake. Got yah beat though. Mom had her oil changed at the mechanic and he forgot to refill it with new oil. She drove a couple miles and car started heating up. Luckily we caught it in time and no permanent damage done.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Dope! Someone forgot to use automotive locktight!!! Rookie mistake. Got yah beat though. Mom had her oil changed at the mechanic and he forgot to refill it with new oil. She drove a couple miles and car started heating up. Luckily we caught it in time and no permanent damage done.
:eek: