Does academic results matter to get a job?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
And people tend to focus on those that are "book smart" but who can't design their way out of a paper bag in practice and loose sight of the fact that the overwhelming majority of students that do get superior grades are also very good designers.
Hence they ask questions at interviews, to help discriminate among the applicants for the best one.

I got my job based on my grades back in the 11th grade at the radio station doing electronic repairs and maintenance.

Last edited:

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Bingo. The only people I've ever heard say that grades don't matter are those that didn't get good ones.
What seems strange to me, is that this answer is too simple to find.
Do you really think I never thought about it?

Honestly I do not accept the rhetoric and verbal tone as evidence.

I want scientific studies and articles and then you will convinced me.

If good grades at school, decided for some of you in your career, it does not mean that it is so for all.

Perhaps many of those who supporting the idea form post #19:
- They argue that intelligence is crucial in getting good grades in school
- In conclusion it is decisive for success in life
http://www.search-institute.org/blog/mindset

Look where did worked this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

He had intelligence at many of your teachers only dream.

For me, the easiest way is to choose to support the idea post #19.
Because I knew that they would conclude I have good grades in school and I am clever.
I can tell you that the theoretical courses at my PhD I finished only with highest mark in school.

However,if it is like in the post #19, I can only be glad. You get high marks and secured future. It is simple.

Or do you think some are born not enough intelligent to get good grades in school?
And you who have got good grades consider that you are from birth differently than those taking smaller grades?
I wait the answer and I'm very curious!
And the question I addressed respectful.

Probably the smartest man who ever existed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis

"After returning to the East Coast in 1921, Sidis was determined to live an independent and private life. He only took work running adding machines or other fairly menial tasks."

Finally:
I'm not saying you must not have good grades in school!
I am convinced that nobody well-meaning did not understand that must have low grades.

But we must understand that sometimes life is unfair.
Moreover, I do not want to understand that if you get the highest grade you know everything and do not need to learn anything else about that subject.

Last edited:

naickej4

Joined Jul 12, 2015

If good grades at school, decided for some of you in your career, it does not mean that it is so for all.

http://www.search-institute.org/blog/mindset

Look where did worked this guy:

For me, the easiest way is to choose to support the idea post #19.
Because I knew that they would conclude I have good grades in school and I am clever.
I can tell you that the theoretical courses at my PhD I finished only with highest mark in school.

However,if it is like in the post #19, I can only be glad. You get high marks and secured future. It is simple.

Or do you think some are born not enough intelligent to get good grades in school?
And you who have got good grades consider that you are from birth differently than those taking smaller grades?
I wait the answer and I'm very curious!
And the question I addressed respectful.

Probably the smartest man who ever existed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis

"After returning to the East Coast in 1921, Sidis was determined to live an independent and private life. He only took work running adding machines or other fairly menial tasks."

Finally:
I'm not saying you must not have good grades in school!
I am convinced that nobody well-meaning did not understand that must have low grades.

Moreover, I do not want to understand that if you get the highest grade you know everything and do not need to learn anything else about that subject.
Yes very true, what if someone had bad grades in the final year of school based on the fact they were ill during the final exams. Does this reflect the person true potential? The person could have performed so well through out their schooling career but in the final year they fell ill and did bad in the final exams. In my country they only look at the final year of your schooling to take you into University/College or even work.
Wow this guy Christopher Langan is amazing!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

You are reading way, way, way too much into a tongue-in-cheek comment.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think no such thing, especially about someone I've never met.

I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything. I was addressing the yes/no question asked by the thread starter.
True, but that's not what the question asked.
It takes more than intelligence to get good grades, and conversely it's possible to get good grades without exceptional intelligence. I suppose it becomes difficult for those increasingly below their peers, but hard work and focus can overcome a lot.
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan
You complain that my observations are anecdotal and then cite about some rare individual?
You get high marks and secured future. It is simple.
I said nearly the opposite. Good grades are better than bad grades, and a useful tool to get in the door. Their influence on securing your future end at that moment.
Yes, some will struggle to compete on that metric and will likely choose another path. Just as I and many of average height were born with no real chance to play professional basketball, or do many other things, half of all people are born with below average intelligence. Most do fine anyway. A few will suffer.
"The wise know too well their weakness to assume infallibility; and he who knows most knows best how little he knows."
~ Thomas Jefferson

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
When you apply for a job, your CV is seen primarily HR (human resources).

First, not because firms would have so many resumes.
But those from HR have to look that are important in company and that they deserve salary.

But they know nothing about the field in which you are applying.
So they judge you after grades and they make calculations after grades.

If they have selected you and after that you hired you look like you're not good employee, HR will say that others are guilty.

Think: there are private colleges and state universities. At this private, the profit is the most important.
If you need good grades and you have money and you do not know enough.........
Do not worry: they are buying a good image with money.

Attention!
What I wrote here in latest posts is a digression.
The answer is not addressed Thread Starter or those who need these answers.

My answer is matter in order: Knowledge, human qualities, grades.

Last edited: