Does a manual/electronically controlled toggle switch exist

lexlagoon

Joined Jan 21, 2023
I am trying to learn circuit design incorporating Raspberry Pi.

I am sorry that I am so inexperienced that I don't know if what I want exists or if it does, then what it is called.

What I want to achieve is to have a physical toggle switch that I can move manually on and off, to open or close a circuit. Then, when it is on I want to electronically turn it off, including physically turning it back to the off position.

Is that a thing?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I found some magnetically-held toggle switches but they are mostly used in aircraft and very expensive.
The cheapest I found was here on ebay.

It might be cheaper to use a momentary, two-position toggle switch to control a flip-flop latch.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Why not use a switching transistor? Something like a logic level MOSFET 2N7000.
2N7000.PDF (datasheetcatalog.com) 3-5VDC applied to the gate will switch up to 60V, 200mA (500mA pulsed), for a max of 400mW before temp derating. Just one example of many transistors used as switches...

Edit: Oops shoulda been 400mW

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Since he is using a Raspberry uP it would be a simple programming job to use a pushbutton to flip flop on/off. Depending on the voltage and current required for the output device, either sourcing from an output pin itself, or using a transistor switch from another voltage source if higher voltage or current is required for the output device than the output pin can provide. Transistors tend to be cheaper and less space and wiring is needed than a relay (unless you are learning about relays). As @crutschow mentioned, what he is asking for is not common and expensive hardware. More than one way to skin a cat.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The closest common device that can provide that function, remote turn off, is an external (remote)-trip circuit breaker. That is a device that will open when the current exceeds some value, and also open when an external voltage is applied to a pair of isolated terminals. They will not provide a remote turn on function, but a very reliable remote switch off.
Much less expensive would be an electrically held relay circuit with a start and stop button arrangement. That sort of scheme is very common, very reliable, and well understood.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
What I want to achieve is to have a physical toggle switch that I can move manually on and off, to open or close a circuit. Then, when it is on I want to electronically turn it off, including physically turning it back to the off position.
You can make such switch mechanism with the help of a small solenoid, similar to this setup with electronic control.
1674418115069.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The remote trip breaker does provide exactly that function, with the added benefit of providing overload protection. Check the Digikey website. Or search for "remote trip circuit breakers"
No they are neither common nor cheap.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
When every manufacturer I know of makes a smart wall switch for lighting they make it look like a "decorator" SPST switch, but inside it is just two small inexpensive momentary push buttons. ON and OFF are indicated by a small LED.