Documentation for a 4 bit shift register

NMLSS ᛝ

Joined Jan 15, 2017
Hey,
I'm not completely sure if I'm right here, but I've got the following problem:
I had to build a 4 bit shift register with the possibility of parallel loading (no problem there, works perfectly), and connect it to one of those standard SRG4s (also with the option of parallel loading). The thing is: I dont have (and couldnt find anywhere) a documentation explaining how to use which port. Could someone give/link me a short docu for this?

NMLSS ᛝ

Joined Jan 15, 2017
What is SRG4?
Afaik the common abbreviation for a 4-bit shift register...
the 8bit ones are SRG8 and so on... thats printed on all of them in our lab
I understand the conzept, Im just confused by this version, thats why Id need someone to explain to me which ports i have to use to be able to use it as extension for my self-built 4bit shift-register and having the possibility of parallel loading

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Afaik the common abbreviation for a 4-bit shift register...
the 8bit ones are SRG8 and so on... thats printed on all of them in our lab
I understand the conzept, Im just confused by this version, thats why Id need someone to explain to me which ports i have to use to be able to use it as extension for my self-built 4bit shift-register and having the possibility of parallel loading
It's probably a model number for the module from a particular manufacturer of your lab components. Without seeing a schematic of what's inside the module (which is probably provided somewhere since it is an educational product) it's hard to tell exactly what is what. But from what you've provided, it looks like it is probably just a pinned out 74LS194. In fact, the IEEE symbol you provided appears to have been taken directly from the data sheet. Have you looked up the data sheet for that part? If not, study it and see if you can understand how all the functions work. Also see if you can make sense of all the notations on the IEEE symbol. Personally, I find the IEEE symbols confusing, but that's probably because I don't use them hardly at all. None-the-less, they were designed so that the symbol alone conveys a great deal of information about the functionality of the part -- and there's a lot to be said for that.

NMLSS ᛝ

Joined Jan 15, 2017
In fact, the IEEE symbol you provided appears to have been taken directly from the data sheet
No, I just found it via google, my problem was the lack of a data sheet.
Anyways, shteii01s data sheet helped me alot, thanks for that.
Seems like I just had to use a neg. input to switch from loading to shifting.
After knowing that the rest was a piece of cake.