Do you watch Oak Island?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I cringed again this week when they showed - yet again - the horrendous lab technique they used for "identifying" red dye. Awful. Otherwise a fairly typical show.

I wonder when we'll start to hear about carbon dating of all the wood they hauled out of the cove.
They keep mentioning the dye, so what did you think about the strike? or other thoughts.

kv

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
They keep mentioning the dye...
Makes me nuts every time they show it. A pretty good episode this week. I think it's the first time they've given an actual date during the show, the Oct 24 strike. The season can't go on much longer.

The amount of lumber they're pulling out of the ground is shocking. The pit, the cove, there's timbers everywhere.

But here's something that caught my eye. Here's part of a screen grab that was, or was very near, the opening of the episode. Take a look at the swamp in the center. What the hell is that regular pattern there? I watched carefully through the rest of the episode and did not see it again. I noticed that they're probably running old B-roll, because sometimes features you would expect to see (cranes, the coffer dam) don't appear. The crane shows that this shot is modern, give or take.

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 7.29.09 PM.png

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Makes me nuts every time they show it. A pretty good episode this week. I think it's the first time they've given an actual date during the show, the Oct 24 strike. The season can't go on much longer.

The amount of lumber they're pulling out of the ground is shocking. The pit, the cove, there's timbers everywhere.

But here's something that caught my eye. Here's part of a screen grab that was, or was very near, the opening of the episode. Take a look at the swamp in the center. What the hell is that regular pattern there? I watched carefully through the rest of the episode and did not see it again. I noticed that they're probably running old B-roll, because sometimes features you would expect to see (cranes, the coffer dam) don't appear. The crane shows that this shot is modern, give or take.

View attachment 174151
Is smiths cove on the other side?

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Right, and so that weird pattern is appearing where the swamp is. I wonder if it's a video effect to obscure some activity there they don't want to air yet.
In the picture I posted doesn't show up like it does on yours. I'd sure like to see them pull more stuff out of their new hole before season end, now that I've said that we won't. :(

kv

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Great episode this week! (Maybe I'm just loopy from giving blood today.) The mysterious pattern in the swamp was explained, and the dating of Smith's cove lumber is coming in. Good stuff.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Geez I missed watching that, funny I've not watched Game of Thrones new episode because I want to bing watch it from the start, I need updates on the old. I also want to record at least 2 episodes. Time to catch up on Oak Island. :)

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Great episode this week! (Maybe I'm just loopy from giving blood today.) The mysterious pattern in the swamp was explained, and the dating of Smith's cove lumber is coming in. Good stuff.
I agree good episode, I think the dating of the trees helps to uncover maybe the who, patterns repeated over and over, can't wait to see what the seismic will return if anything or bring more questions, more structures in smiths cove? Eventually if they gather enough evidence maybe they can just dig a giant cavity all the way down. Then turn it into a museum.

kv

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
I am looking forward to the season finale coming up this week. That being said, I am annoyed that it does not appear to be a two-hour show but maybe there will be a post-finale pow-wow.

The dating of the wood (when it was cut) from structures discovered in the cove is probably the most significant finding, from a historical perspective, in all of the years that the show has run. That dating predates the money pit discovery. Its significance beyond the historical, i.e., treasure-wise, has not been established, but the fact that people built that structure in the early 1700s is a big deal.

The strike is a typical Oak Island PITA.

They will be back next season (which has probably already started) and so will I *sigh*

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I wouldn't put too much stock on the wood dating as being core to the 'treasure'. That is the same time period as the Acadian's being pushed out of that area. So the whole wooden structures could be linked to English military strategy, not anything to do with the treasure part of the island. Don't forget that the buttons they are finding when metal detecting are military.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So the whole wooden structures could be linked to English military strategy, not anything to do with the treasure part of the island. Don't forget that the buttons they are finding when metal detecting are military.
I think the main thing we're saying not about treasure, but the new wooden structures as well as previous structures are pre 1700, but the real treasure yet to be found is history and the hope of locating all the previous peoples to have arrived on the island doing lord knows what?

kv

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Pretty sure it was 1770 but anyway the critical point is that it predates the 1795 “discovery” of the money pit. It’s not from modern searchers.

I’d like to know why it was resting on top of concrete, which almost had to be post civil war searcher related. I suppose the entire slipway could have been towed in from somewhere else as a sort of pre-fab construction.

So many mysteries in that place! I guess nobody was keen to reveal the goods.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
It's so randomly laid out as well, no real clue as to why this or why that structure. Unless they removed much of what was laid in the first place, I'm still confused as to the role of the swamp. I'm not sure a swamp would be in the shape of a diamond. (I mean Triangle, Oops) It's gotta be some sort of clue wouldn't you think?

kv

Last edited: