Do you watch Oak Island?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Yes, there sometimes seems to be an awful lot of "fluff". I chalk it up to lowest common denominator presentation - give everyone something of interest.

The multiple people accompanying the one guy with the detector is strange. I get it, he is King of all the Detectorists, but is a crew of assistants necessary? Ok, I have the big shovel, you take the little shovel and the other guy will run the hand-held small detector through the 3 shovel fulls of dirt and so on.

I also abhor the wild speculation theories that used to take up a huge chunk of the show.

They still go back to these though - the paper/leather fragment must mean the original works of Shakespeare are down there!

But I think it is cool that they took the fragment for electron microscopy and has some expert opinion rendered and a recommendation to go talk to a textile expert. Or the identification of the spike as typical of those used in ships.

The bone chips are very cool, but the genomics will be used to bolster some far-fetched theory. If we have dead people way down there, it is an important finding, unless you end up telling me that they could have come through the ocean under the Island.

I thought the 4-ft hole was to be able to get a camera down there as they have done in the past.
The four foot hole I'd for a diver. The camera preceeds the diver.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
So far, there have been many coming to the brothers with every conceivable theory, which they graciously entertain.

Without any documented proof, those are just fodder for the viewers.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
We probably see about 8% of their activities on island. It would be boring as hell watching every inch of that bit going down to 153 feet.

It's a puzzle. The book binding could be any book but someone postulated the hypothesis it was a works of shakesphere.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Rick's brother said in the last episode that he Rick is concerned they will destroy what ever is down there but Marty isn't concerned and just wants to get to the bottom of the Money pit. Which in my opinion is just that, more money has been spent finding the mystery of the Money pit than will ever be recovered.

However, pieces of history have come out of the possible people involved in the creation of the money pit. I was intrigued when another person with the idea that horizontal tunneling took place by Irish or Scottish Miners can't recall who they were, but to me seems plausible, if so then the treasure if any may lay in a tunnel off to the side of the main shaft which would protect it from any bore hole.

The Egyptians practice a similar style of burial, saying that if the Sinclair Clan ( http://www.sinclairgenealogy.info/knights-templar ) actually had connections between the Knights Templar it wouldn't be difficult to claim the Vault was hidden by them also working together with the Danes because the Sinclair Clan united with William the Conqueror these connections are all to much to ignore in my mind, William was known to claim his Crown through King Knute the Great of the Danes.

I like the idea Christopher Columbus married into the Knights Templar family (Maybe not a Mason) and possibly was shown a map of the new world, if so, lands were possibly obtain through trade allowing for deposits of historical lost artifacts, both in America as well as Canada. But, many theorist say it was not Columbus who found America and became more of a Viking influence together with a history of Phoenician and Greek or even Roman connection, not to mention Jewish. They have found a Phoenician coin 30 miles away from from Oak Island. So Oak Island has been known not only to Europeans but also those from the Middle East. How that relates is beyond me and is why I'm so intrigued with the story.

This blows my mind, of the 2 bones with DNA related to drill hole H8 is from the Middle East makes an interesting connection as well. What the heck is that all about what it say's to me that the Masons are an interesting Secret Society and it connects all peoples regardless of religion or nation dating back into antiquity, how interesting is it or relevant to any story some random person has already espoused belief? no hard fast evidence makes for this mystery even deeper than the holes they drill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Knights_Templar

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Oak Island is truly a puzzle.
I thought I'd seen all of them but, I've been rewatching some that I apparently missed or don't remember. They have sifted through so much stuff, I didn't know they found 2 Triangle shaped rocks in the water pointing toward the money pit, I thought in the episode I watched just one and it was a natural formation.

They also claimed in an episode that Aztec's could have stashed gold in the Swamp, but it, the swamp didn't exist as one theorist say's, he said it was small cliffs that existed naturally and it was once 2 islands with caves on one side they stashed gold in and filled the swamp leaving the cross pointing at the base. I didn't get to finish it yesterday so I have no idea if they explored that theory or not.

kv

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
I remember the Oak Island story as a kid as well. I'm an avid watcher. Drama? Sure. It's tough to make research sexie.

I watch more history channel than others.

Don't forget JFK, zodiac killer, hitler, knights templar, aliens, et al. I think I'm reverting back to the days when 14 days of 16 mm 2 hour movies came in the log flight and we watched them all that weekend, only to be interrupted by the "scheduled" movie. You can watch the whole series, or listen to it, via the app.
...and now you can add Tesla's Death Ray (and his murder) to the list and so far, I am underwhelmed.

Last edited:

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
The four foot hole I'd for a diver. The camera preceeds the diver.
So, yesterday's episode provided an explanation for the 4-ft hole....they simply do not want to destroy the treasure. That is what they said...they don't want to be the one's to both find and destroy the treasure. Now, let's see if a future episode sends a diver down that hole.

BTW: The episode was a disappointment - they did not get around to starting the 4 foot hole until the last shot (I knew they were going to do it). The rest was fluff, interesting fluff, but fluff nonetheless. *dang* I need a two hour money pit fix!

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, yesterday's episode provided an explanation for the 4-ft hole....they simply do not want to destroy the treasure. That is what they said...they don't want to be the one's to both find and destroy the treasure. Now, let's see if a future episode sends a diver down that hole.

BTW: The episode was a disappointment - they did not get around to starting the 4 foot hole until the last shot (I knew they were going to do it). The rest was fluff, interesting fluff, but fluff nonetheless. *dang* I need a two hour money pit fix!
Don't be angry, when you can't go get local parts and the only thing you can do is wait for the parts to fix it suddenly my OCD's to fix on the spot was cured. Now I can wait and see the ending without a fixation.

10+ years in a TV shop part time will do it, I was a service Tech on the road which demanded a fix or loose money coming back for the repair. TV shops just cool, they bring it and they have to wait.............. if you can afford the rent.

BTW, don't open a TV shop, it's down the road. Analog sets get fixed digital well ya, cut bait or fish hope you have enough money to pay the rent.

kv

Edit: If you have the location maybe you can buy yourself lunch once in a while, after taxes.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

My best guess they use the original original drill hole, then have a fixed expansion plate that will bring the rock up just as the outer drill cuts though. Of course I have no idea that Tech exist's. After all the other knowledge gained for history of the Island could lead to a more interesting ending.

Of course either that or they are part of a bigger exploit, which you are saying could be a disappointment. Nothing is there and we are the subjects.

kv

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
They can't find the treasure until the season is complete ... so expect fluff. Made for television reality does not equate reality.

In the end, there will still be questions, based on what they find. The researchers will not have solved the whole puzzle.

The middle eastern bone discovered earlier will be worth a lot of research speculation, as will the Templars.

One could always record the series and then binge watch them. That will be as close to "real time" as you can get with television series.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
One could always record the series and then binge watch them.
I binged on the first few episodes when I first encountered the show, amazed to find one of my pet interests turned into a show. Soon I realized that there was no reason to suffer all the intermediate episodes, and I just jumped ahead to the last available episode. They hadn't found much by then, so I had zero incentive to go back to those unwatched episodes in between.

One concern I have is that there was no international news release this summer about a big find on Oak Island. It would be very hard to contain such news until it could be revealed on the show. So I'm not optimistic that this season will end with any sort of blockbuster. On the upside, they appear to have the resources they need to keep after this. I'm also glad to see them doing genuine research away from the pit. Then as now, it's very hard to keep things secret and there are clues to be found outside the pit.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I binged on the first few episodes when I first encountered the show, amazed to find one of my pet interests turned into a show. Soon I realized that there was no reason to suffer all the intermediate episodes, and I just jumped ahead to the last available episode. They hadn't found much by then, so I had zero incentive to go back to those unwatched episodes in between.

One concern I have is that there was no international news release this summer about a big find on Oak Island. It would be very hard to contain such news until it could be revealed on the show. So I'm not optimistic that this season will end with any sort of blockbuster. On the upside, they appear to have the resources they need to keep after this. I'm also glad to see them doing genuine research away from the pit. Then as now, it's very hard to keep things secret and there are clues to be found outside the pit.
In an earlier episode Marty said he was shutting the island down to outsiders, at least once he felt they discovered the Money Pit. Artifact discoveries of all the stuff located elsewhere as well as knowledge of Templars makes this whole thing irresistible to me, even if they don't reveal anything, it does make sense because the show is worth a lot of money to them, any early release would cost them dearly. Interest in the island has grown world wide, it would mean a lot to people in Israel if the Ark is found might start a new war, if they try to take the Temple Mount out of the control of the Waqf all heck would break loose.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-is-beneath-the-temple-mount-920764/

A September 2000 visit to the Temple Mount by the Israeli politician Ariel Sharon was interpreted by Palestinians as a provocative assertion of Israel’s sovereignty, and helped spark the second intifada uprising, which, by some estimates, claimed as many as 6,600 lives, as rioting, armed clashes and terrorist bombings erupted throughout the Palestinian territories and Israel. At its core, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict represents rival claims to the same territory—and both sides rely on history to make the case for whose roots in the land run deepest.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-is-beneath-the-temple-mount-920764/#00W4OmJ6wg0qZXTG.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
kv