Do you know what the values of this capacitor are ?

Hextejas

Joined Sep 29, 2017
IMG_0417.JPG Round and green and shiny.
Says,
SK 28
241 K
5U and what looks like a copyright symbol. C with an SA or SR inside it. I got a bunch of them from a scrap board.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
View attachment 141363 Round and green and shiny.
Says,
SK 28
241 K
5U and what looks like a copyright symbol. C with an SA or SR inside it. I got a bunch of them from a scrap board.

Thanks.
The 5U looks like possibly a dielectric type, the number would be 2, 4 and followed by a single zero - the K would be a tolerance code.

An MOV has been suggested, but they most often are bigger than that - it can be challenging to tell them apart sometimes.

Hextejas

Joined Sep 29, 2017
Yes it is clearly SK 28.
The U at 2nd look is a backwards R, abutting a J or U.
It reads no resistance. 00

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The code says capacitor to me, but with both Underwriters Registered and CSA marks it smells like a power component of some kind. Lack of a voltage value or code also pushes me toward something non-capacitor-ish.

What was it removed from? Can you post a photo of the assembly showing where it was?

ak

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Just curious and will use it if called for and if I knew what it is.

I would not use it except maybe just to experiment. It is an unknown with no known datasheet. You don't even know if it is functioning to spec (whatever that is). Best to leave it be and just buy what you need. The part couldn't cost more than a US dollar. Probably a few cents. Frankly it is not worth your time to worry about. ;)

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
What does '00' reading means to you ? Can be 'infinite' on your meter. Same as if the ohmmeter with probes touching or with probes not touching ?

The voltage is '241' = 240Volts. Abundant canibalizable from nearly ALL 240V power supplies input circuits.
The reversed R in RU is the current logo for 'Underwriters Laboratories'

At least C1 if not also c2 and C3 here :

If varistor, as 'MOV' here :

Which is :

Or this :

Damaged :

Last edited:

Hextejas

Joined Sep 29, 2017
What does '00' reading means to you ? Can be 'infinite' on your meter. Same as if the ohmmeter with probes touching or with probes not touching ?

The voltage is '241' = 240Volts. Abundant canibalizable from nearly ALL 240V power supplies input circuits.
The reversed R in RU is the current logo for 'Underwriters Laboratories'

At least C1 if not also c2 and C3 here :

If varistor, as 'MOV' here :

Which is :

Or this :

Damaged :

Two different meters read 0.0 not infinite as touching probes. Same as probes not touching. Where it came from is a mystery. I'm gonna trash them but they sure are pretty