Do you have any pets at home?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
That almost looks like my Cat Butterscotch.

Hey, I'm going to weigh her tonight, could you weigh your cat? I want to see how many pounds difference between the two.
I was just kidding about Jack being a big cat. That picture was taken with him in a child's chair. He's actually pretty normal sized. :)

But he really does have a big personality.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I was just kidding about Jack being a big cat. That picture was taken with him in a child's chair. He's actually pretty normal sized. :)

But he really does have a big personality.
Ok, I want to know how she compares, she looks really fat to me. She's 16lbs.

I just held her and got on the scale, minus my weight.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now, I can't justify buying a useless animal, paying for food, paying for shots, cleaning up its messes, letting it outside, bathing it, etc.
You seem to be the, "No" vote here, but I can respect that. I used to raise Bichons. Lovely little lap dogs, but 5 years after they left with the renegade wife, I still mentally took inventory every time my car arrived at my neighborhood. "How long since the dogs have been out? How long since they were fed?" "Have they gotten through any of the allegedly puppy proof barriers?"

I enjoyed them immensely while I had them. I even respected them and learned from them. I could bore you to death with all their cute stories, but I am not willing to sign up for that ride again.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Used to like having dogs & cats as a kid, when my parents took care of them. Now, I can't justify buying a useless animal, paying for food, paying for shots, cleaning up its messes, letting it outside, bathing it, etc. I have enough of that from the kids. If the kids want a companion, they have each other. If I ever get a dog, it will be guard dog; the only useful type of dog for 99% of people. Never a chihuahua never a cat.
I'm not an animal person either. I raised hamsters for a while but only because I saw a business opportunity. In the early 1970s, the hamster cages at Target were always empty. The manager told me they sold faster than he could buy them. After a bit of reading, I bought a female and borrowed the male from a neighbor and a hamster farm was born.

Not a bad business for a 12-year-old with some startup money.

I never had a pet after that.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Jack weighs only 8 pounds, so your Butterscotch is a butterball. :D

Post a pic.
She didn't like me picking up her Paw. She lay's in the Kitchen where dogs have to pass her, her favorite game is reaching out and slapping them in the head.

It sounds like a boxer punching a bag. If they get up to close sniffing her, she'll reach out and grab them in the face using the Thumb.

Edit: Here's one of "Omga" her sister.

Edit: "Tobbie and Hades" are waiting for Lexy to give up the bone, until then she's guarding it.

Edit: Can't leave out Zoie. (TacoBell)

Attachments

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
From last years Christmas card (it's a good thing to be best friends with a world class animal photographer.)

All rescued in one form or another.

Clockwise from top left:

Baxter as newborn pup from a shelter where his Mom lived,

Miss Foxy Pancake was semi-abandoned in a dark garage when her 16 yo owner got bored.

Sweetie Girl at 3 months was found living under a dumpster.

Buster and Davey Dave were found crying dirty and hungry in a low bush. Vet estimated them to be 3 weeks old and they needed to be bottle fed (and manually "encouraged" to evacuate).

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have a lot of pets, actually. I have 5 cats:
Blackfoot--black fur with tiny white speck on his chest
Midnight--black fur but looks brown in the sun. Diabetic
Louie--black and gray tabby. The youngest of the group
Koko--male chocolate-point Siamese, friendliest cat I've ever met
Yum Yum--female seal-point Siamese. A little snobby, but friendly once you get to know her

I also have a bird--a parakeet--named Willow, a western painted turtle named Bob, and a light-brown mouse named Lenny (kudos if you get the reference).

I used to have 7 cats at one time, 3 fish, a rabbit, bird, and the turtle.

I'm a big pet person :D

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We have three animals -- two labs and our daughter.

The oldest is a yellow lab, Denver. But I think his true breed is an American Brainless.

The middle is our daughter.

The youngest is a black lab, Missy.

We got the dogs, who are purebreds, free from a breeder who gives away those dogs that she's not going to keep in the breeding program at about two years of age. She said that Missy would have been a perfect show dog if she had just grown a bit more. She didn't say why Denver was rejected, but I think it's because he's too stupid. It certainly isn't because he's too small -- at about 120lb he is one big puppy!

Our nicknames for them, in order, are Dimwit, Putz, and Misfit. Collectively, they're The Three Numnums.

Our daughter wants a cat, but cats don't do well on the mountain -- the big kitties seem to take particular enjoyment in eating the little kitties. They leave the big dogs pretty much alone, especially if they're in pairs. That's the main reason we got the two dogs -- so that they could deter the mountain lions and bears when our daugther is outside on her own (which she isn't doing much of yet, but that will start changing shortly, I'm sure). We figure if a big cat does decide to come play we may have to rename the dogs -- one will be known from that time on as Lucky and the other will have the name Expendable carved on its grave marker.

Of course, if Denver doesn't get over his penchant for chasing the deer, sooner or later he'll make the mistake of catching one of them. And then we'll be going back to the breeder for another dog.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Our oldest cat Toto (she is now 18 years old) also had diabetics.
We had to test the bloodsugar and give her insuline, dependend on the bloodsugar value.
We had a lot of help of the diabatics cats forum.
Now she does not need any insuline anymore.
We still do test the bloodsugar value every week.
You can see the values in this google sheet:
Bloodsugar values of Toto

Bertus

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The oldest is a yellow lab, Denver. But I think his true breed is an American Brainless.
I thought that was the Golden Retriever.:confused:

Probably my fault for raising lap dogs. I didn't get familiar with the breeds over 40 pounds.:D

However, my sister has a black Lab that is very smart. Mountain grown. Has never come home smelling of skunk or needing sutures.

Good luck with what you have to work with.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I thought that was the Golden Retriever.:confused:

Probably my fault for raising lap dogs. I didn't get familiar with the breeds over 40 pounds.:D

However, my sister has a black Lab that is very smart. Mountain grown. Has never come home smelling of skunk or needing sutures.

Good luck with what you have to work with.
I grew up with a Golden Retriever and that was one exceptionally smart dog. Most of the Golden Retrievers I have interacted with over the years seem pretty on top of things. Labrador Retrievers seem a lot more hit and miss and Denver wasn't one of the hits. But he is an adorable dog and is extremely good with our daugther, whom he outweighs by more than a factor of two. No matter what she does to him, he puts up with it and eagerly comes back for more.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@DerStrom8,
Did you have the bloodsuger tested lately?
A bloodsugar value between 2.8 to 7.2 mmol/l will be fine.
Toto had a bloodsugar value of 24 when we started to test her.

As for the food a diabetic cat should have, should have a low carbohydrates content.

Bertus

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello,

@DerStrom8,
Did you have the bloodsuger tested lately?
A bloodsugar value between 2.8 to 7.2 mmol/l will be fine.
Toto had a bloodsugar value of 24 when we started to test her.

As for the food a diabetic cat should have, should have a low carbohydrates content.

Bertus
I actually have a friend taking care of my pets while I'm in Boston, as I am not allowed to have animals in my apartment. My friend takes care of the vet trips, medical testing, and feeding while I am away.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Diabetics with cats should be take seriously.
Here is a piece (translated) from the diabetic cats forum:

Cats will drink a lot and urinate, they have a huge appetite and they still loose weight anyway.
Frequently they are lethargic.
Also, there may be diabetic neuropathy, where cats eventually run instead of on their toes. On their heels*
At a later stage the appetite disappears, the cat is becoming weaker, is depressed, vomit and dry out or get into a diabetic coma.
A cat with diabetes who receive no insulin, so will be getting sicker and eventually die.

Bertus

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello,

Diabetics with cats should be take seriously.
Here is a piece (translated) from the diabetic cats forum:

Cats will drink a lot and urinate, they have a huge appetite and they still loose weight anyway.
Frequently they are lethargic.
Also, there may be diabetic neuropathy, where cats eventually run instead of on their toes. On their heels*
At a later stage the appetite disappears, the cat is becoming weaker, is depressed, vomit and dry out or get into a diabetic coma.
A cat with diabetes who receive no insulin, so will be getting sicker and eventually die.

Bertus
Yes, you're absolutely right. My friend takes good care of my cats, special attention goes to the diabetic one. When I am at home I take care of her, she is not my first diabetic cat. Her mother was also diabetic. She passed away of old age a few years ago.

Miss Kelly

Joined Nov 9, 2013
I have a husband and a clowder of rescue cats. The grandkids live with their parents, but are adept at bankrupting me anyway. The older ones are mastering math skills on Khan Academy. They get a dollar per skill mastered. They're into me for $62 so far.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have a husband and a clowder of rescue cats. The grandkids live with their parents, but are adept at bankrupting me anyway. The older ones are mastering math skills on Khan Academy. They get a dollar per skill mastered. They're into me for $62 so far.
Hmmm... "clowder"... now that's a term I don't believe I've heard in very long time. Of course, if I were more of a cat person I would probably hear it more often.