do you have any issues in your daily life?

Werapon Pat

Joined Jan 14, 2018
I try to find the topic for my senior project, but I could not figured out yet. The professor told me to think based on problems in nowadays,
but I can't really find once so do you have any problems in your daily life to recommend me? I want to keep it as an idea for my project.
PS. I'm studying computer engineering.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
so do you have any problems in your daily life to recommend me?
Junk phone calls and emails are a proverbial pain in the derriere. You would do the world a service if you could program a plug-in box to eliminate those while still allowing sensible legitimate use of the phone and email service.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hardware sorting machine.
Toss in a box of random screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. and have them all sorted by length, thread size, head type, hole size, etc.

Same with electronics component sorter - sort a collection of resistors, capacitors, transistors, ICs, etc.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When I cook a roast, I use a digital thermometer. After the temperature starts to rise, I do a quick rate check, i.e., change in T/time, then calculate an expected finish. About half way through, I repeat and adjust to get pretty close.

Temperature in a roast has been shown to be "diffusion" controlled. Project: Develop a smart thermometer where you enter the rough dimensions and shape/type of roast, take temperatures as long as needed to establish the heating curve, and predict within a few minutes when it will be done. The equations have been published.* Then, for extra credit, transmit the results to a television on-screen display (OCD) or mobile device.

*Here are two links:
http://up.csail.mit.edu/science-of-cooking/home-screen.html
http://shortsleeveandtieclub.com/engineering-the-perfect-thanksgiving-turkey/
There are several on the Internet.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
When I cook a roast, I use a digital thermometer. After the temperature starts to rise, I do a quick rate check, i.e., change in T/time, then calculate an expected finish. About half way through, I repeat and adjust to get pretty close.

Temperature in a roast has been shown to be "diffusion" controlled. Project: Develop a smart thermometer where you enter the rough dimensions and shape/type of roast, take temperatures as long as needed to establish the heating curve, and predict within a few minutes when it will be done. The equations have been published.* Then, for extra credit, transmit the results to a television on-screen display (OCD) or mobile device.

*Here are two links:
http://up.csail.mit.edu/science-of-cooking/home-screen.html
http://shortsleeveandtieclub.com/engineering-the-perfect-thanksgiving-turkey/
There are several on the Internet.
Actually, with the latest iOS that can make measurements using its cameras, the data entry could be automated. Scan the price tag to get the weight and item type, take the measurements. Cool idea.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Actually, with the latest iOS that can make measurements using its cameras, the data entry could be automated. Scan the price tag to get the weight and item type, take the measurements. Cool idea.
But a rolled roast, like a standing rib roast, is different from a flatter roast, like a top sirloin, and a rack of lamb is different yet again. Might be close enough, but the TS wanted a project, and the formulas are out there.

Besides, I don't have a smart phone and probably never will.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I was wondering lately, how hard could be implementing a simple network of temperature sensors througout my house that I could interrogate via mi mobile phone.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Toss in a box of random screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. and have them all sorted by length, thread size, head type, hole size, etc..
My Dad used to to that. It was really anazing. Wish I had him back now, save a lot trips to the hardware store. Plus he would be able to comment on how (for example) the Phillips vs other screw heads came about. Let’s see your AI do that!

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Toss in a box of random screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. and have them all sorted by length, thread size, head type, hole size, etc.

Same with electronics component sorter - sort a collection of resistors, capacitors, transistors, ICs, etc.
This kind of problem is more suited to a mechanical process rather than "AI" and it may already be in use.For example, the automatic pin setting machine in bowling alleys was invented in the 1940s by a guy in the packaging industry. At the time, it was considered a mechanical engineering marvel.