Do You Have An Account With Facebook?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
This question may have been asked before.

Do you have an account with Facebook and how often do you access your account? I've asked many of my coworkers (about 40) and they do not. I've also asked some of the residents in my condo complex and they don't have an account either. None of my close relatives don't patronize Facebook either.

So who are all those billions of Facebook followers? Or is Facebook's popularity just a load of propaganda?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I had one for my cat but dropped it when I became aware of Facebook’s liberal bent. My cat is no liberal. :p

Plus I was tired of all the emails. Before dropping it I would post an occasional photo or cat video, maybe once every other month or so. I never saw the point of it

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
One of my alter egos has an account, purely to keep in touch with younger family members in distant lands. It gets used occasionally but I consider the whole setup childish.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
No current account for Linkedin or Facebook. Had a Facebook account for a very short period, never posted to it, and like wayneh said, I got tired of all of the e-mails. I find the willingness of people to publish personal details disturbing.

One of my daughters said, "but dad, I control who has access." She still uses it, but I think she is beginning to realize personal e-mails may be a little better.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I had aFB account briefly. I got it so I could earn a few bucks writing resaurant reviews. I have no idea which restaurants were involved. Just wrote as specified, as far as words to include etc. Yes completely fake. At $0.50 each it wasn’t really worth it so I deleted the account and found greener pastures.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I personally don't have one myself but know hundreds+ of people with them..
To me its rare/weird that you talked with 40+ people and didn't find the vast majority had an account.. Maybe its a location or age thing..
I'd bet that easily..easily over 50% of the people I could ask have one..
Most of the people at my work do..

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I have an account with FB, on very rare occasions I get tagged to look at a family photo.

Had a look at my FB home page today, guess what, I was presented with an advert for AAC.????

Attachments

Last edited:

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
No Facebook here. I had an account for about a week when it first started up. The whole thing seemed kind of stupid to me, so I jumped ship.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Definitely, If not for my computer I would have almost no human contact, My house is not much of a party zone.I was originally dragged in due to my support groups.

NewWay

Joined May 26, 2018
I was an early FBadopter and saw it veer into the weeds. As a commercial entity it was bound to go that way. Slightly better is the "karma points" method. If there is nothing to cling on, your contributions are posted and they are given their respective community "value". Worth1000.com had a nice toy called Plime.com, a karma site that worked very well. It was kinda fun to check in and see the huge variation, and the obliteration of garbage. The company created the Aviary, an online image editing suite. No more time for Plime. Next thing you know, Adobe bought the work. A nice story. You can get the Aviary free app. Check it out. I have no connection with them except I miss their Plime forum. By the way, Worth1000 was a serious Photoshop competition. I'm sure their entrant's work is all over the web.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've got a FB account, but it's hard to use. It uses a lot of CPU and if I use the search box, the CPU goes up to 100% and the site becomes nonresponsive. I've tried this on my phone and and also a computer at a library. Both have the same problem so there's definitely something fishy about FB. As many have suspected all along that FB is just a front for spyware.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Have facebook as it is basically the only way to keep up on community events or find a good hairdresser in town. I do not use it otherwise. It is amimuzing to keep tabs on how they use personal data and the commercials. The future is looking ugly

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have one and use it maybe once a week. I only have it to keep in touch with old friends. My wife on the other hand does not and has no desire to use Facebook at all. Like many she keeps in touch with old friends with email. Matter of fact while she is technically savvy she is content with her Plane Jane flip phone and has no desire to have a smart phone. I like my smart phone so there we have it, a house divided 50/50.

Ron

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Never had one, never will. I think the whole idea of vomitting all your personal info to the entire world is the height of stupidity.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I have one and use it maybe once a week. I only have it to keep in touch with old friends. My wife on the other hand does not and has no desire to use Facebook at all. Like many she keeps in touch with old friends with email. Matter of fact while she is technically savvy she is content with her Plane Jane flip phone and has no desire to have a smart phone. I like my smart phone so there we have it, a house divided 50/50.

Ron
I would love to have just a flip phone but in Canada it is not possible... you are forced to have a smart phone and told that it is your choice and that Canada has the most advanced plans available. So much for freedom and privacy. I switched to android so now google will be collecting my personal data 24/7

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Never had one, never will. I think the whole idea of vomitting all your personal info to the entire world is the height of stupidity.
Painting with a broad brush and narrow mind aren't we? Not everyone who uses Facebook vomits all their personal information for the world to read. Many see it as a convenient means to simply keep in touch with family and friends. Then yes, there are those who feel some weird need to share their lives with the entire world which I also see as foolish but whatever trips their trigger. Point being different people use social media in different ways and you just can't lump all into one.

Ron