Do you believe in Free Will?

Do you belive in free will?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
1. Only to the extent that you have limited choice.

2. It depends on your definition. True randomness can not exist in this universe. Without cause....there is no effect. Without cause, there is nothing.

3. No. Because we have choice. Nothing human can be predetermined.

The only reason that we have arguments in science is that we can not see particles. So we argue about what they really are. When we get the materials and tech to take a photo of a particle.....that will stop some arguments....but start many more.

That photograph will make me smile, because I already know what it looks like.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I'm not sure that at subatomic scales "seeing" things is very informative or even meaningful. However it has always stuck me as interesting that the only fundamental force that we have successfully been able manipulate, the electromagnetic force, is that one that operates at "human" scales. We can see lightening, we can feel magnetic attraction change as we move magnets together, we can feel the heat from the sun.

Sure, we feel gravity, we even feel the strong and weak nuclear forces in the sense that a surface feels solid or sticky but we can't "play" with them because the scales at which they operate are either too large or too small.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"I'm not sure that at subatomic scales "seeing" things is very informative or even meaningful."

I am sure it will be the most informative and meaningful photo ever taken.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
All analogies break down at these scales, however I'll give it a go - it would be like a "photo" of the state of the balls on a snooker table taken by rolling other snooker balls across the table and capturing where they hit the opposite cushion.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
sirch2....are you saying we can only see the shadow of a particle? I am not sure of your snooker table analogy.

The physical laws of this universe work at all scales and at all times and at all locations.

In order to photograph a particle so small that visible light can not see............we will have to photograph it with a much higher frequency invisible light. Higher than hard x-ray. Into the low part of the gamma range. Then we can beat or mix it down to visible range.

A fast switch will allow this. A faster switch as a gamma VFO would allow us to set energy level, size, and position of a particle. This will allow us to manufacture custom matter.

Edit....Pardon me. I will use the word "image" instead of photograph from now on.
It's like when we image a asteroid with radar. Radar is very low frequency light. If we go higher, we can image a particle. But we can't oscillate at light yet. We will need much higher.

Last edited:

Himanshoo

Joined Apr 3, 2015
http://phys.org/news186830615.html

"...Cashmore, Professor of Biology at the
University of Pennsylvania
, says that many biologists today still cling to the idea of free will, and reject the idea that we are simply conscious machines, completely controlled by a combination of our chemistry and external environmental forces."

"...Cashmore, Professor of Biology at the

University of Pennsylvania
, says that many biologists today still cling to the idea of free will, and reject the idea that we are simply conscious machines, completely controlled by a combination of our chemistry and external environmental forces."

"...Vitalism was discarded more than 100 years ago, being replaced with evidence that biological systems obey the laws of chemistry and physics, not special biological laws for living things."

“I would like to convince biologists that a belief in free will is nothing other than a continuing belief in vitalism (or, as I say, a belief in magic),” Cashmore told

My question:

1) Do you believe in Free Will?

2) Are there really random? If so, what is cause-and-effect?

3) Is the event of scientists arguing this kind of stuff been predetermined before?

Thanks!~
Do you believe in astrology??

Status
Not open for further replies.