Do Segger J-Link China-clones work with native Segger software?

picoamp

Joined Sep 13, 2018
I own a Segger J-Link EDU because the others are way too expensive for private use. Unfortunately it's very limited by the tools you can use with it. What i was looking for is an Plus or PRO to use the tools i need, where the licence for them is included.
So i wonder if those China clones would work with the genuine Segger software?

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
As far as I recall, J-link EDU only restriction is that it must be used in non-commercial purposes. Do you see anything different?
https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/j-link-edu/

Folks around the net report that clones become a catch up game - every new version of the software tends to lock their access.

In my personal opinion, I like to support the original designer and reward their work by purchasing their products (when possible).

picoamp

Joined Sep 13, 2018
Yes, there is reduced functionality on EDU. One is, that you can use J-Flash to read but not to write a Flash-Memory attached to an JTAG-enabled device.

From another forum i've got the info that it would work with some china-clones. Well, let's see when it is arrived.
I'm truly willing to pay for good tools, but paying nearly $1000 for a genuine Segger Plus is far from what i can spend...

Last edited by a moderator: