DIY Electric indoors fence 9v

Seltix

Joined May 15, 2019
Hello all!

I'm trying to build an indoor electric fence for my cats with one 9v battery for power supply, one 555 timer chip and one 3V to 7000V Boost Step-up Module from eBay and I would like some help analysing the circuit and confirm if it will work or not before ordering all parts.

For now, based on all the information I could find online I design this circuit :

http://everycircuit.com/circuit/6178402869182464

- The 100k ohm resistor will be changed with one 100k ohm potentiometer to adjust the pulse frequency.

- 3v to 7000v module : https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3V-to-7...409327&hash=item2ce29d6c8a:g:oNoAAOSwUHBcL8gj

Will this work ??

Thank you, all help is appreciated.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I would use 2 AA alk. batteries, 250 would be 0, 10 uF = .5 uF or what it would take for module to get up to speed.

Seltix

Joined May 15, 2019
I would use 2 AA alk. batteries, 250 would be 0, 10 uF = .5 uF or what it would take for module to get up to speed.
Hello!
I start with that idea but for some reason in the simulator I'm unable to get more than 1.5v from the 555 output =/

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A bipolar 555 has an output headroom requirement of about 1.5 V below Vcc and 0.5 V above GND. The CMOS part is better. LMC555

It looks like you are trying to fire the HV module for about one second on / one second off. Close?

If so, make sure the HV module starts up fast enough to make an output before it is shut off. Also, add a diode across the module input, anode to GND.

What is the purpose of the 250 ohm resistor?

Consider adding reference designators to each component to ease further discussions.

ak

Last edited:

Seltix

Joined May 15, 2019
hello.

I was trying to create more time off than on, my current 555 out put frequency is like that (that because of the diode on the 100k ohm ) :
upload_2019-5-16_8-49-23.png

But if I remove it, yes, it wold be more close to one second on / one second off :
upload_2019-5-16_8-52-29.png

Is there a way to be sure the module starts up fast enought to make an output? I should go with the second frequency shouln't I (without the diode on the 100 ohm resistor ) ?

The diode across the module input like this ? :
upload_2019-5-16_9-2-8.png

The 250 ohm resistor is there to reduce the 555 output voltage from 7.5v to 3v ( the HV module input voltage ).

Circuit updated with references :
upload_2019-5-16_9-18-10.png

Attachments

Daniel Sala

Joined May 28, 2015
Hi,

Unpopular suggestion on an electronics forum: How about going all analog and considering a little apple essential oil or similar smeared on whatever it is they touch instead of that solution? ...Or something that makes a loud noise when they cross a threshold. My vacuum or even just the mop scare the bejesus out my cats and I don't even brandish them at the little miscreants.

Seltix

Joined May 15, 2019
hello all!

Thanks @AnalogKid, circuit updated :

upload_2019-5-17_10-42-45.png

@Daniel Sala, we already try multiple options without success. The problem is the cat opening all the jewelry cabinet drawers. When she can't, she just damage the cabinets. I know we could just close the badroom but it's nor fair for the other cats.

Using one speaker to generate a loud sound wold be an totally diferent project but interesting idea, I will search about an circuit for that, thanks for the idea :D

In the end this is not just a solution for a problem, is an project to enjoy and learn with it too.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You will need to dive the coil with a transistor or FET, not straight from the 555.

For example, a Google search found this, among lots of others....
ElectricFence.png

I'd aim for 3 or 6V operation if you can, with the CMOS 555, and use AA cells of bigger. Do not try the small 9V batteries as they are quite low capacity and pretty expensive. But even 9V, with AA cells in a holder will be better than a small battery.
If you go to low volts, you will need a logic level FET. Check for other circuit too.

This circuit is a good start. But the ignition coil could be overkill, or "cat kill".
Make the on pulse very short to limit the power delivered. Be careful please

Seltix

Joined May 15, 2019
Hello @dendad, Thanks! I do want to be careful thats why I'm asking for help, I want to be sure it will be harmless. I will build that circuit in the simulator to analyse and I will be back.

hehe yes @shortbus, I did see that xP and thank you :D

Daniel Sala

Joined May 28, 2015
Hi,

Making myself more unpopular here, too...

...But electrocuting a cat is not harmless, is it? It's wishful thinking to pretend so. Pain is pain, whether you're a cat or a human. And furthermore, and I've been biting my tongue about this, besides being cruel it may even be/is very likely not actually permitted in your country if they have any laws whatsoever about keeping pets, which I'll bet they do unless you happen to be Dr. Moreau living on The Island of Lost Souls ;).

It seems a (horrible) questionable project, friend, sorry.

Try something else before going all Abu Ghraib on your pet. e.g. I must seem like a psycho to some neighbours - when "Mittens, the miscreant" does anything a) too naughty or b) that could be dangerous for her, if soft words and rewards don't work I move onto tried-and-tested plan B: I deliberately shout at her a few times when she does whatever it is and dozy and stubborn as she is she soon learns not to do x y or z. Plan C is learning to live with some of the less desirable characteristics that cats have, like obsessions with opening things, that or rehoming them.

Sorry, I don't want to go on but why not a project you could learn something useful from like an automated mouse or an automated feeder or something/anything with a tad more love and empathy in it?